Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amitabhbansal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2011
Delhi, India
friends
i have just bought apple tv 3 1080p, i am from India, when i started it, it just shows me COMPUTERS and SETTINGS and nothing else on the screen, whereas i have purchased it for photo stream, netflix, youtube and all features, i thought might be i have choosen India thats why its showing me like this, then i have changed the time zone to CUPERTINO but still the same thing, please help me what to do
Thanks

atandon

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Try changing the location information under Settings/General/iTunes Store/Location to US
Note that Netflix may still not be accessible from outside the US

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
If you can't see the video and music options either, it likely means your AppleTV isn't on the network yet. Have you checked to make sure it's correctly configured, and done a connection test?

amitabhbansal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2011
Delhi, India
If you can't see the video and music options either, it likely means your AppleTV isn't on the network yet. Have you checked to make sure it's correctly configured, and done a connection test?

ya there is no music and video options, and i did network test and it passed out, everything is fine by network

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
First, are sure it's connected to the internet? Goto Settings->Network and check.

Second, alot of the options displayed are dependent on which country you've got the iTunes store menu set to. Don't change the time zone as this has no effect, instead goto Settings->General->iTunes Store->Location and set it to a different country.

amitabhbansal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2011
Delhi, India
First, are sure it's connected to the internet? Goto Settings->Network and check.

Second, alot of the options displayed are dependent on which country you've got the iTunes store menu set to. Don't change the time zone as this has no effect, instead goto Settings->General->iTunes Store->Location and set it to a different country.

u mean there is no effect in changing the time zone of ATV3? i have to change it in itunes?

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
ya there is no music and video options, and i did network test and it passed out, everything is fine by network

Ah, ok. Since you couldn't see those, I assumed it might be your connection; but if I'm not mistaken, there's no iTunes music or video stores in India, if so selecting that option may have disabled those tabs. I don't think Netflix is available there either. Sorry.

You might try restoring the AppleTV and choosing your location there; I'm not sure if it can do some location look-up based on your IP address/ISP to determine your true location.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
u mean there is no effect in changing the time zone of ATV3? i have to change it in itunes?

No, I mean it has no effect on which menu items get shown.

I don't even know why the ATV has a timezone option as it dosen't even have a clock:D The only thing I think it could be used for is knowing which time of day to downoad things like podcasts or checking for rentals.

----------

OK, so your internet is setup correctly.

What country is the iTunes store location set to? A safe bet is just set it to the US.

Also are you sure your internet provider isn't blocking traffic to Apple.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
No, I mean it has no effect on which menu items get shown.

I don't even know why the ATV has a timezone option as it dosen't even have a clock:D The only thing I think it could be used for is knowing which time of day to downoad things like podcasts or checking for rentals.

I think you're correct.

They can probably detect your country via your IP/ISP, but wouldn't be able to tell your timezone within the country, which is why they ask for it. In the past I wasn't even able to turn on Home Sharing if the Time Zone was incorrectly set, so obviously it has its use!

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
In the past I wasn't even able to turn on Home Sharing if the Time Zone was incorrectly set, so obviously it has its use!

I live in the UK, have the iTunes store set to the UK but have never changed my time zone from Cupertino and Home Sharing works fine for me.

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
Here's an article about using the AppleTV in India. This is for the AppleTv2 (720P version), but it's probably still relevant.

http://woikr.com/apple/apple-tv-working-in-india/

Long story short, You need an iTunes store account from a country that has media available. Then you need to set the location to that country and connect to your account.

This doesn't mention Netfiix or the other services, but I wouldn't count on them working...

murph1134

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2011
I had this problem too. If you go into settings, there is an option for a reset (different than putting it to sleep and waking it back up). Do that and see what happens, it fixed the problem for me.

amitabhbansal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2011
Delhi, India
Thanks for the replies friend, i just found the cure, in settings of ATV3 i set the location of Itunes Store to United States and now its working.
Thanks a ton friends for your kind help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.