Where are our AirPlay speakers???

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by -FlyAuburn-, May 6, 2011.

1. -FlyAuburn- macrumors regular

Why is is taking so long for companies like iHome or even Apple for that matter to implement a decent, cost effective multi room AirPlay speaker system? iHome's website has said for months under the IW1 AD that they will "email you when it becomes available".http://www.ihomeaudio.com/discover/airplay/

Ok, great, but you guys have been saying this forever. I would like to buy three; for the kitchen, bed/bath, and back porch.

Sonos is an option but is a separate system from Apple's AirPlay and is IMO WAY overpriced!

Are there any options available that use AirPlay that are out right now?

2. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I also would like more options for AirPlay enabled devices, but think about it for a minute...

Most people already have speakers set up where they would want them. At $99, an Airport Express is still a very affordable and convenient option, that you simply just need to plug in. Everyone keeps talking about these iHome iW1 AirPlay speakers, you know they are going to MSRP for like $300?!?! I have 2 iHome alarm clocks/ipod docks and the sounds quality sucks (I don't know if the iW1 speakers will suck, but there is no way I'm going to spend $300 to find out). If this thing is going to be $300, then anything with even decent sound quality will likely retail for more.

Once you think about it this way, a $99 add-on to whatever speaker system you want sounds like a better option, plus it's available right now.

3. -FlyAuburn- thread starter macrumors regular

$300 a piece??!!?? That's ridiculous. I was hoping they would be more like $100. I don't need Bose quality audio in every single room. I just want to be able to pipe music at decent quality to any room I want at a reasonable price.

With the airport express + speaker combo you are talking over $100 for each room. I was hoping the IW1 would actually beat that price point in one neat package. Guess I was wrong.