All iPads Where are pdf's stored?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by snerkler, Oct 21, 2013.

1. snerkler macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I recently saved a pdf to my iPad and now want to read it on my Mac. I've synced the ipad to the Mac, but where can I find the pdf I'm after on my mac?

TIA

2. Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

Quickest solution may be to email it to yourself or use airdrop to move it over to your Mac.

3. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

It's stored where your ebooks are. There's a drop down menu that you can select PDF.

4. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I didn't realise you could email them :eek:

----------

Thanks, but that's on the device (ipad) isn't it? I want to find them on my mac. I'm just going to email them though as above I think.

5. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I've run into a stumbling block, some pdf's don't have the option to email, including the one I want to put on my computer. Any other ideas how to get it on my mac, and why won't some pdf's send as email?

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

In what app is the PDF file stored? iBooks? Something else?

7. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

iBooks

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

When you connect your iPad to your Mac, you need to do "transfer purchases" in addition to syncing it. That should copy the PDF in iBooks to your Mac's ebooks folder.

9. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

You would have gad to save it into an app, so that is where it is stored. There are a lot of possibles -- iBooks, goodreader, etc. All depends on what's on your iPad.

----------

Nope. PDFs aren't purchases so they aren't covered in that.

A sync of books might work if the option is set at books and PDF. Or one can try getting an app that opens PDFs and has file sharing and attempting to copy the file over to that app.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Don't be literal. In this case, "purchases" is simply content on the iPad that isn't in iTunes. I do this often, I know it works.

11. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I assume if you save a PDF to iBooks, and then save the same PDF to, say, GoodReader, it will save another copy?

Or do both share one?

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Each app creates its own copy. No sharing.

What I do when I save PDF and ePubs off websites is save them to Dropbox. Then I can open them in any iDevice I have, as well as on my computers, without first having to transfer them out of iBooks into iTunes.

13. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Get Dropbox. Open an account on your desktop. Then get Dropbox for iOS on your iPad. It works great. You can seamlessly move stuff to your iPad, access it, etc.

14. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

With DropBox (which copies the content on all devices), iBooks and other readers can access the DropBox content?

15. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

I'm not being literal. I'm being correct. Transferring purchases is about purchases not, as you claim, about everything on your iPad. You can transfer purchases without doing a sync and those random PDFs etc you saved out of your email and such will not be on your computer. You need a sync or a save via file sharing for that stuff.

16. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Using iBooks and iTunes with PDFs is a bit annoying. It's difficult to keep them sorted, in my opinion. I find that a better solution is Documents, by Readdle. Unlike GoodReader (which I've also used), Documents is free.

The interface is nice and clean on the iPad, but the best part is that with Documents open on the iPad, it will appear as a mountable disk on your network. At that point it's a simple matter of dragging files on or off of the device with your computer. You can sort things by folders and both Documents on iPad and your computer will recognize those folders.

I'm not associated with Readdle in any way, I just discovered Documents recently and I find it to be incredibly useful and a joy to use (particularly compared to GoodReader...).

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You save files to DropBox, then you can open files from there in other apps using "open in..." So any app that can handle PDF can access PDFs in DropBox.

Okay, "everything" was the wrong word to use. But I know PDF that you save to iBooks get transferred to your computer when you do "transfer purchases," and only when you do " transfer purchases." It won't transfer if you just sync. If you don't believe me, just try it. Save a PDF to iBooks, either from an email, using "open in..." from another app, or downloading one in Safari. Then do a sync with iTunes, nothing will happen. Then do a "transfer purchase," and the PDF will copy to the computer and get listed under "books" in iTunes.

18. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies guys. I already have a dropbox account and so used that route.

Out of curiosity I will try the transfer purchases method to see if it works. In this case where does it transfer the pdf's to?

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

There's a books folder inside the iTunes media folder, which I believe is inside the iTunes folder. Could be a bit different, since I'm using Windows, but look for the folder where iTunes stores music, apps, etc.

20. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Step back, we have a winner. Went to music>iTunes>iTunes Media> and there was indeed a folder labelled books, inside of which the pdf was already there without having to do the transfer purchases.

Thanks a lot :) Never thought of looking for books/pdf's in the music folder :rolleyes:

21. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Ha! I'd forgotten iTunes saved its folder inside the music folder... I think I moved mine up a level because I thought it was illogical to have all this non-music stuff in the music folder... :p

22. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

The best solution is absolutely to use Dropbox. The only trick then is to decide what program you will use for all of your pdf files.

I use adobe reader. Once you click "open in" the file is copied to that program and will stay there forever.

If you like pdf books (I never get books in that format) you can open them in iBooks. Otherwise, send them to adobe or some other program.

Then delete them from Dropbox, of course.

R

23. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Adobe copies the PDF over so you can delete the DB copy?
    What about iBooks and GoodReader (prefer), do they copy over, or read from same directory?

I have a lot of manuals that are only in PDF format, not much choice.

TY

24. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I already answered this, each app maks their own copy, so Adobe, iBooks and GoodReader will each make their own copy. There's no shared directories in iOS, each app can only read from thir own directory. Other than when you perform an "open in" command.