Where are people storing their videos?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrMister111, May 19, 2015.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

Liking iCloud photo library principal.. Bought extra (200Gb) iCloud for this. Great idea to have them lb my iPhone and Mac.

But I still have loads of videos from cameras yet to put into my Photos for Mac library, and once I do they will very very quickly take up all the space in my iCloud storage. So now what....?....

What are others doing? Don't really want to pay anymore for iCloud storage, and even the top option wouldn't be enough for the video anyway.

Where are others storing their video?

Do you keep it on an external HDD and reference it? What happens then for iPhone?

What about backup then, obviously the great convenience of iCloud photo library is that it's backed up, what about the video?

Thanks

2. PsyOpWarlord macrumors 6502

PsyOpWarlord

If you have that much and don't want to pay for the icon storage fees, and you want to be able to access the files from your iPhone still, your solution would be to run a server from home. You can remotely connect to that server to get access to whatever files you don't have stored in iCloud.

3. robfern macrumors newbie

4. Gildarts macrumors regular

You could use Flickr?

1TB of free storage for photos and videos.

5. HDFan macrumors 6502

I access all of my media via Plex Media Server since iTunes won't handle .mt2s (high definition, DTS-MA audio) Blu-Rays files. I'm looking at the SurCode DTS-HD Decoder for Quicktime which may get around this issue, at least while I'm watching movies on my MacPro.

Plex allows me to access all the movies I have on all of my mounted disks, including iTunes Movies or iTunes Music videos, The app has a graphical interface available on all of my devices (MacPro, iPad, iPhone, Roku). Plex does allow for remote access outside the home network, but I haven't used that since it would require punching through my firewalls.

The Plex application on the Roku is supposed to be rather good, and for TV's that don't have AirPlay evidently the Roku will also support screen sharing. Just ordered a Roku 3 to test this out. My Apple TV only has my iTunes content, so I'm hoping the Plex via the Roku will allows access to all media, movies and music, no matter what format.

For Music I use Vox which keeps all of my music, even formats that iTunes doesn't support such as DSD or FLAC, in the cloud in their original format so I can play them anywhere.

For movies (Blu-Rays) that won't go into iTunes I keep them on a "Media Server" folder on one of my Raid5 arrays. It has about 2 TB right now. For simplicity's sake I'm also adding any new DVD's to this same location.

As for backup I backup my 6.8 TB of data to 3 online services that offer unlimited storage at very reasonable prices (~$60 a year): Crashplan, BackBlaze Backup, and Amazon's Cloud unlimited service. Crashplan and BackBlaze backup automatically. Amazon Cloud has the disadvantage that is is a manual backup. It requires you to drag the folders to the application to back them up. It's advantage is that the upload speed is about 3 mbps, which is twice the speed of the others. [I should add, though, that it's been crashing on me so I have an open ticket with Amazon].