Where are the $50 G4 Mac Minis hiding....

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by japasneezemonk, Aug 24, 2013.

1. japasneezemonk macrumors 6502

japasneezemonk

A few weeks ago on another post it was mentioned that one can easily find Mac Mini G4's for about $50 shipped. Im looking for one but cant seem to find anything under $80-$100. eBay and Craigslist have not been very good sources either. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

I'm thinkin' 50 bucks shipped seems a little cheap

3. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

There's more of a demand for the mini G4 than you think. It's the only Mac guaranteed to run MorphOS out of the box with no tricky items. So finding one for $50 might be a tough one to come by.

4. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

5. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

A little cheap? Actually is too expensive for such an old machine that is pretty much unusable these days. FFS, it can't even run the latest software, play HD video or games...

6. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Uh, so? Not everyone wants to.

7. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Funny, I don't need the latest software, or to play HD video or games. So for me, it isn't unusable.

8. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

Games? There's an Xbox/Play Station for that.

Latest software? We have Linux and a wide variety of sites that offers alternatives for Mac OSX apps.

HD Video? I only get normal quality videos ;)

9. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Three posters have already destroyed your argument, but hey, might as well keep this ball rolling. ;)

I do believe you don't quite seem to understand the purpose for this forum; see, this is the PowerPC area of MacRumors. Apple hasn't supported the PPC architecture for quite some time now, and most other companies followed suite not long after.

But this means very little to us; we love our PPC machines, for what they can still do, for what we can make them do, for their design and soul. We couldn't care less about the "latest and greatest"; we want what we know how to tinker with and make our own. We want our time-tested hardware and software that does exactly what we need it to do. Personally, I love using older techology and making it useful to myself and others, it gives me a wonderful fuzzy feeling. :eek:

I have an Intel MacBook that is quite a large margin faster and more compatible with today's software than my PPC eMac. But I don't think I have to ask you to guess which one sees more use. :)

10. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

Not to mention it was destroyed before he even said it, because there happens to be more than one crowd:

1. PPC Mac users (OS X or Linux)
    2. MorphOS users (it just plain works with no guessing)

11. MacMadness macrumors member

Chjeeeeeez, think you're in the wrong forum there, sport.:confused:
    (Or you're just too ignorant to realize how offensive your comment is.)

Perhaps you should take a chill pill or
    troll around in the "new" MacPro trashcan fanboy threads...

12. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

It's a good point about MorphOS. Keep in mind that the OS cost $120+ (111.11 EUR, so whatever the current exchange rate is for U.S.). I'd guess that anyone wanting that experience and willing to pay that much would gladly pay equally as much for a nice machine to run it on. Also, unless it has recently changed, MorphOS does not benefit from dual CPUs. So that makes the Mini even more attractive. You'd probably get more out of a 1.5GHz Mini than a 1.25GHz MDD.

13. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

I bought a boxed G4 mini for $50 shipped last week on eBay.

14. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

111Euro is the price for PowerBook,iBook and PowerMac G5.

MacMini, eMac (wouldn't advice that one), PowerMac G4 and Pegasos can be registered for 79Euro.

"Best" machine is hard to guess, excluding Power/iBooks I would say upgraded PMac G4s with 128MB Radeons and CPU > 1.5GHz (hard to find) or the PMac G5 2x2.3 (AGP, not PCIe), no LCS on that one.

15. tampasteve macrumors 6502

One has to be vigilant and patient to find them. I just won one on Ebay for $49 shipped with keyboard, mouse, and the mac mini as well as an external HDD. It is also worth looking in the "For Parts/Not Working" section of Ebay as people sell machines with some very minor issue in that category as they have no clue how to fix the machine (or how to google search a fix apparently).

I have found Craigslist to be good for iMac G3 and G4, but anything else people seem to expect WAY to much for. In my area Power Mac G4 and G5 systems routinely are posted for well over $100, the same goes for iBook, but iMac G3's can be had for a few bucks.

16. old-wiz macrumors G3

I have an G4 mac mini sitting in a file cabinet. Never thought of selling it though; I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of selling it, shipping it, worrying about payment, etc. I keep it for possible use as a file server...

17. CapnCrunch53 macrumors member

CapnCrunch53

Pretty much how it is where I am too. Plain jane Powermac G4 systems for $100, etc. I did pick up a nice iBook for $30 the other day, bone stock though.

18. tampasteve macrumors 6502

Using it as a file server is a great idea, that is what I am going to use the one I just won for.

As an aside though, selling on Ebay is really easy. I have sold about 7 PPC macs on ebay and so far have not had a problem with deadbeat bidders (though, I have had that issue on other items I have sold). Shipping is fairly straight forward, just box it up with some bubble wrap and ship it through fed-ex, a Mac Mini is very easy because of the size. Or even easier, just use the USPS flat rate box to ship it so you do not have to calculate the size/weight. Pretty easy way to make a few bucks. :)

19. Sepultura macrumors regular

There are tons of Mac Mini G4's near me for $40-70 bucks. Personally I wouldn't pay that for them.

20. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

wow, so cool! If I had tons like that near here, I would get 22 and donate them to a school that I know of that has no computers... Mac Minis are so cool and a good starter machine

21. Sepultura macrumors regular

Very generous of you.

I remember when I was in school we replaced all the ancient computers with the Bondi Blue iMac's shortly after they were released. That was exciting.

I don't think a PPC would be good for schools today seeing how most software will not work with it. The schools around me have pretty decent computer labs nowadays.

If your a collector you can't go wrong at the $40 price.

I would have no use for a G4 Mac Mini.

22. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

The aim is for kids who don't own a pc and never had access to internet, not even seem a Mac computer in their life. A Mac Mini will be a decent computer for learning the basics.

Microsoft Office 2008 works, Aurorafox works, and there's also Linux for macs.

Don't be so hard on PowerPC Mac Minis.

23. japasneezemonk thread starter macrumors 6502

japasneezemonk

I'm not surprised the Mac Mini has such a loyal following. It was just that after hearing from some fellow forum members that they wouldn't touch PPC with a ten foot pole I thought I might be able to score some incredible deals.

Im just going to be patient and cross my fingers.

at $40, i'll take 2 :)

24. tampasteve macrumors 6502

If you can really get them for $40-$60 it would be wise to buy them up and sell them on Ebay where they routinely go for more than that. Add $25 to ship them and you can make a decent profit per unit.

25. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Schools would have very little use for G4's at this point. At best, a C2D would be sufficient.