Where are the AirPlay Speakers/Systems?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by itsvdiddy, Nov 20, 2010.

1. itsvdiddy macrumors member

People have been touting AirPlay as a huge benefit to iOs but how come there aren't that many speakers/systems available? I know iHome has some but anybody know of any other systems that will be available soon?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AirPlay allows you to play your music on your home stereo system. It doesn't matter which speakers you use. The specific AirPlay-enabled speakers are ones with a digital display, to show song information, but they're not required for music to play.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/airplay/

3. itsvdiddy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks - then are you aware of any AirPlay compatible stereo systems?

4. mrfoof82 macrumors 6502a

I'm not entirely sure if anything has actually been made available yet. As in, you can buy one. Any sufficiently complex receivers should in theory be upgradable (firmware update) if the manufacturer wants the AirPlay feather in their cap.

Denon has the AVR-4311CI. MSRP is ~$2000. AirPlay is being added as a firmware upgrade.

Marantz has the Melody Music (M-CR503) receiver, which will be ~$700 MSRP.

B&W, JBL and iHome are listed partners. Obviously, AppleTV is an inexpensive option. My guess is it'll be something more prevalent in the next annual refresh cycles for manufacturers. Some such as Denon are being aggressive with firmware instead, and will presumably introduce new models with it standard. Pluuuus, you're still waiting for application developers to take advantage of the new protocol.

I'm waiting for digital sound projector (soundbar) manufacturers such as Yamaha to start including support. AirPlay would be a "nice to have" when I do finally do the "home theater" (wall-mount the current TV, DSP, and a long, shallow bench to visually anchor everything with).

TL;DR It's coming, slowly. It'll pick up steam in 3 to 9 months.

5. itsvdiddy thread starter macrumors member

Thank for the detailed info! I'm so excited as I read about AirPlay allowing you to stream to multiple speakers/systems at one time.

I can't wait 'til car stereo companies start incorporating AirPlay - no more wires!

6. andiversen macrumors newbie

airplay and grooveshark

Will it be possible to stream music from you iphone Grooveshark App to an Airplay Stereo?

7. mrfoof82 macrumors 6502a

Yes, but only if the Grooveshark Developers decide to implement AirPlay support for their app.

A neat one would be streaming video apps. Imagine you are away from home... and decide to stream something via Netflix over 3G or Wifi. You pause your movie, because you're getting off the subway. You arrive at home. You resume the movie on your iPhone, but then send it to your AppleTV. You now resume on your TV. Oh nuts, you have to go again. No problem, you can resume it on your iPhone. Your iPhone is now not only a Netflix client, but also a Netflix "remote control". Very cool.

That's what will be awesome. That and the fact that Apple opened it as a standard, allowing Android, Windows Mobile 7, Windows applications, Linux applications, etc. to get in on the fun if developers choose.

I expect German and American manufacturers to pick this up the fastest. Japanese manufacturers? Don't hold your breath. Japan for a long time tended to promote only Japanese manufacturers. They're giving in nowadays, but still much more slowly. I expect either VW Group or BMW to be first out the gate with AirPlay support, and I'd guess... Ford will follow shortly thereafter as long as Microsoft hasn't tied their hands with an agreement over Sync.

8. track23 macrumors newbie

You're high, dude. How exactly would that work?

9. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

For me, the easiest way to connect your home stereo system through AirPlay is via an Airport Express. Connect your receive to the Airport Express throgh an RCA cable and you can send any music from your IOS device to your stereo. :)

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, I'm not high, and I'm not a "dude". I'm a man.
    It works quite simply, if you take the time to read:

iTunes 10: About playing music with AirPlay:

11. electroJ macrumors newbie

electroJ

12. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

AirPlay is not an open standard. You can only use it by calling the API in iOS 4.2.

13. itsvdiddy thread starter macrumors member

14. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

Is the airport express actually airplay compatible? I know it will work with the old AirTunes protocol which allows streaming from iTunes and using the iOS remote app to control it, but I don't know whether it supports the additional AirTunes functions such as streaming directly from iOS.