Where are the antennas ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DotCom2, Jun 29, 2009.

1. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Where exactly are the antennas located on the 3G and on the 3GS?

2. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (White, 32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

The chrome bezel is an antenna, as is the ring around the camera lens. I believe there are more, inside.

3. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (White, 32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Oops. Forgot the ring around the headphone jack ...

4. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

it's a really ingenious system, but most are up at the top of the phone because of FCC radiation issues

5. b.c. macrumors 6502

the above is just plain WRONG !

6. b.c. macrumors 6502

this is WRONG, too

7. bradenwh macrumors 6502

Except for the fact that he's completely right. Research, dude. Everything metal on the outside of the phone is an antennae. Please do not attempt to act like you know when you don't.

8. b.c. macrumors 6502

the REAL antennas are inside the case.

you can see some of them in this teardown of the 3G.

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20090114/164030/?SS=imgview_e&FD=-855375277

the 3GS is likely very similar. You'll note the main cellular radio antenna is located at the bottom/back - same place where the original iPhone's was (where the black plastic part on the back case was in original iPhone)

9. b.c. macrumors 6502

believe what you wish. even if YOU don't know. sheesh....

p.s. here's another look at the antenna itself.
    2G http://www.ipaqrepair.co.uk/ipaqpart1193.html
    3G http://www.ipaqrepair.co.uk/view_product.php?product=1817
    ain't shaped like the bezel. or headphone jack. or camera lens ring. BTW antennas aren't simply any old random shaped and sized piece of whatever-available metal you can find on a device. but I guess you knew that.

10. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

So I guess Apple was full of **** when they had this info listed on their website prior to the 3GS' launch? ;)

11. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

12. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Oh, and if you're bored, just copy/paste this into Google. ;)

"Clever iPhone engineering integrates those antennas into a few unexpected places: the metal ring around the camera, the audio jack, the metal screen bezel, and the iPhone circuitry itself."

13. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

You are correct, but wrong when it come to the iphone. I understand where you are coming from if you have any understanding of antenna theory, but these phone don't need perfectly radiating antennas.

14. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Well I am even more unsure where the antenna is after reading this thread! :eek:

The reason I am asking is because I am interested in buying a super duper hard case and my fear is that the case with block some of the waves from getting to the antenna since some of my friends have told my that this indeed is a reason for bad reception in some cases.

Has anyone tested signal strength with both the case off and on to see if there is a diff? Especially with the harder shell cases?

15. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

As long as the case doesn't contain any metal in it and that the material it is constructed with is not as dense as lead, it will be fine.

16. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

oh snap.

17. bradenwh macrumors 6502

No. You believe what YOU want. You are wrong. Everyone knows it. The headphone jack ring, ring around the lens, and the bezel are all external antennas. Apple said so itself.
    You do not know what you're speaking about. Please do not argue against what's been talked about before.

18. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    It doesn't mean what most people think it does. My guess is that marketing went around the different departments and asked if there was any cool info they could use, breakthrough or not.

Teardowns do not show any direct antenna connections to those parts, on any iPhone model. But there doesn't have to be.

It's common for cell phone designers to use metal bezels, etc., as cheap, unconnected antenna boosters. Apple isn't inventing anything here. It's been done on cellphones for about ten years. Motorola is supposed to be a whiz at this.

Some of mobile radio design is what engineers call "black magic"... that is, done by simple empirical testing. They move parts and circuit traces and shields around until they get the best signal and the least internal interference.

Anyway, to answer the OP: the GSM radios' antennae are still at the bottom. The BT, WiFi and GPS antennae are at the top.

19. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Or, according to the company that actually designed the iPhone, "the metal ring around the camera, the audio jack, the metal screen bezel, and the iPhone circuitry itself."

20. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

More correctly: "According to the marketing department of the company that etc. etc."

21. tjhilder macrumors regular

tjhilder

:D i lol'd

22. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Exactly. According to the company that designed the phone. And I think they know just a little bit more about the iPhone's design than any of us.

23. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Apple doesn't need to try too hard to convince us that they have the best technology put into iPhone. iPhone users know it's not true if compared to other latest technology phones out there, and that's okay with them.

Metal ring around the tiny camera. Gimme a break!

24. The General macrumors 601

AND the headphone jack AND the giant bezel surrounding the whole phone.

25. w3cum macrumors regular

ok as a ham radio operator I know a little about antennas. They are specific to a frequency. you tune the antenna by lengthing or shortening the antenna. This being said, all the antenna needs is a certain amount of metal in length. My question is how they work if they are not connected?