Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Justin Luck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
The MacBook Airs have been on the market for 10 months now. Other companies are starting to release laptops and tablets featuring Bluetooth 4.0. I was looking for a Bluetooth 4.0 mouse to purchase, but can't find any. Am I just not looking in the right places? Shouldn't BT 4.0 be popular with its power saving benefit?

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
I'm also looking for a bluetooth mouse I find it hard to get a mouse without a usb receiver.

frank4

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
There are a lot of Mac users who are looking for an alternative to the Apple mice and I'm surprised nobody is selling a really good Mac Bluetooth mouse, they're all just Windows mice they say will work on Mac and often they don't have an OSX driver. Even a well-done conventional design would be good and they'd probably sell lots.

I checked a few mouse supplier sites and their specifications say their mice are Bluetooth but no version is identified. Is BT 4.0 that important for a mouse? I know BT4.0 is low-power.

I've been using a Dell "5-Button Bluetooth® Travel Mouse" I got on sale a few weeks ago, probably a previous version of the one at this link:
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/pro...ynoteSearch&baynote_bnrank=5&baynote_irrank=0
It works OK even without a Mac driver. I prefer it over the Magic Mouse because it is not too low, it slides easier on the desktop, and the buttons are easy to push compared to MM. I modified the scroll wheel to get rid of the rotation clicks. Occasionally there are minor connection and sensitivity problems. I can use it for several hours without hand strain, unlike the Magic Mouse.

Also there is the Logitech V470.
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice/devices/v470-cordless-laser-mouse-for-bluetooth

Justin Luck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Bluetooth 4.0 is appealing to me if it makes a noticeable gain in battery life for the device I am using the mouse with (e.g. notebook or tablet). Sure, the mouse itself should last a good while regardless of Bluetooth spec on one or two AA batteries. But you need a 4.0 compatible mouse for a 4.0 bluetooth receiver to operate at the new power efficient rate.

eron

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
I bought a Logitech Performance Mouse M950 recently, and it's surprisingly good.

That's coming from a Razer Diamondback, and a Steelseries Sensei mouse, which are both wired.

The M950 uses a usb device for wireless data transfer, but retains the sensitivity of a good wired mouse like the above 2. Apparently, you can get a much better 'data transfer', and better response using a usb RF device, than BT. So that might explain the lack of good BT mice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.