Where are the BTO's assembled?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hakr100, Feb 1, 2014.

1. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

My 2009 had Chinese assembly origins. Just ordered a new BTO the other day and wondering if the BTO's are still mostly assembled in China. I suppose I shall find out when I get a tracking notice, but I am curious. Thanks!

2. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

3. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

When I ordered my BTO late 2012 iMac, I got tracking information showing that it was getting shipped from somewhere near Shanghai.

4. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That was the case with my 2009 iMac.

No progress since yesterday. Seems to me that the iMac assemblers, wherever they are, should be working on weekends to put my BTO together! :D

5. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

im starting to think that USA imacs have less to do with assembly/shipping concerns and something more like 1) government agencies require us assembly so they have a small plant and 2) when the plant is running idle between big orders, 3) they push individual / small orders through.

6. tomwvr macrumors regular

tomwvr

7. BESLC macrumors regular

8. zeropointzero macrumors newbie

9. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmmm. I wonder what the criteria for country of assembly is. Perhaps when I ordered my first iMac in 2009, they *all* were assembled in China. That, obviously, has changed if it ever were true.

Hopefully, my new iMac will start the shipping process in the next couple of days, and I'll see where it is starting its journey. :D

10. IA64 macrumors 6502

I really doubt that the BTO are assembled in USA. It'd cost too much.

Also seeing the poor QC and the quality degradation over the last few years, I wouldn't say so.

11. Bear macrumors G3

Asia, California and Ireland. California assembled iMacs have only been shipped within the US. Ireland built iMacs only within Europe as far as I've seen.

Final assembly and a certain percentage of the assembly has to be done in the US. US made parts might qualify as part of the percentage assembled in the US.

Whatever your doubts are, some iMacs are marked as assembled in the US. And I don't believe Apple would lie about that as there are penalties for marking items incorrectly.

12. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Oh so the sticker on the box of my Late 2013 BTO 27" iMac Core i5 with 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB SSD, and the 780M is wrong?

Excuse the instagram pic....

Attached Files:

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

14. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

My two week old one was assembled in the USA and shipped from San Jose, CA. It shipped on a Wednesday and I got it the next day.

15. IA64 macrumors 6502

Well that's weird because mine was assembled in China. I think only US citizens get a Mac assembled in USA ?

[​IMG]

16. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

iMac's are built in China, US, and Ireland as already noted. Europeans tend to get the Ireland built( not sure if Chinese ones are mixed in) ones and US get a mix of US and China built ones.

17. IA64 macrumors 6502

Mine was shipped from Amsterdam:confused:

Any noticeable difference in quality ( yellow tint / HW failure rate etc.. ) between the US and Chinese Macs ?

18. Seramir macrumors member

Seramir

I never had an iMac that wasn't assembled in USA (BTO or not). They are all also shipped from California and never once took step into any other foreign land. Even when I purchased my 2007 iMac, it was assembled in USA.

And no, units assembled in USA aren't free from current issues that plague the iMac like yellow tint and image retention.

19. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Never had Mac this last ten years that was made in America. Most likely that the new US built Macs is due to Apple's new US factory.

20. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The mystery has been solved. The BTO I ordered last Friday was shipped Monday, and its point of origin was San Jose, California. FEDEX tracking indicates a 5 February delivery to me on the East Coast of the United States. :D

21. RickRack macrumors newbie

22. eladnova macrumors member

china and shipped to Ireland in Jan 2014. I was surprised it wasn't assembled in Ireland. bto with 780M Gpu and i7 CPU.