Where are the complications?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by wayner, Oct 19, 2015.

1. wayner macrumors newbie

Watch OS2 has been out for about a month now. One of the things that I was looking forward to was more complications to put on the Modular face. I have tons of apps on my phone that are Watch-aware but none of them have complications as of yet.

People talk about Dark Sky but that seems to be a US only app and I am in Canada.

Why can't you get Baseball scores from the MLB app as a complication? Hockey scores from the NHL app? Financial info from the Bloomberg app? Weather from Wunderground (which comes from my personal weather station) - the Apple Weather for my location is inaccurate? Traffic status from Waze or Google Maps? Charge status for my Tesla?

2. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Don't put the cart before the horse.... Where are all the native WatchOS 2 apps??

Developers were much faster to put a worthless mirroring app out than they are for an actual useful native app...

3. wayner thread starter macrumors newbie

4. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

If you go over the Apple Watch Apps forum here, you will see that there are probably 50 apps designed for native and have complications. Dark Sky, Carrot, MLB, CNN, Fantastical, Drafts, Just Press Record, Sleep Pulse, Sleep ++, Night Sky, etc, etc.

So yes, MLB does have a complication that works but they never added the small complication they showed in their presentation for OS2. There are many apps with complications now. All of the ones I mention above and many more.

5. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

6. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

Oh wow.....I'm going to ask a totally n00b question so please forgive me.

What are complications?

7. naasrd macrumors 6502

naasrd

They're little add ons for the watch face but with a ridiculous name as they don't complicate at all!

8. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

The name is not ridiculous, it's traditional.

9. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

LOL!!!! YEAH!!!!

How about add-ons or maybe even something as basic as options????

OK thank you for answering and not laughing at me.

10. handsome pete macrumors 68000

It's certainly traditional, but I think Apple got a little too cute trying to tip their cap to the horological world.

They should have just called it something else. Seeing as this isn't supposed to be any old watch, a little creativity on their part wouldn't have been a bad thing.

11. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I agree, especially because with how complicated the watch can initially seem, adding a feature called a complication isn't a sound business decision. Haha. It's funny how "traditional" Apple went with this considering their huge shift away from skueomorphism.

Complications. Digital "crown". Chronograph watch face (really the huge emphasis on analog watch faces in general).

12. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

Apple was quite clear and deliberate in their positioning of their new device as a watch first, rather than as a wrist computer.

13. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Am I missing something? I assume I am because CNN has a complication and that would be news but I already stated that... I also think there are some feed complications. My apologies if this is not what you mean by news complication.

I like CNN on the modular large complication.

14. devilsnj30 macrumors member

Wonder if it was supposed to be compilation. But they goofed and were like we menat to do that. Watch Compliation - multiple apps on the face of the watch.

Makes more sense.

15. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Which I think was a mistake. They didn't have to go full-on "hey this is a computer on your wrist" but I think they needed to differentiate themselves more from traditional watches. The focus on fashion was fine since that would essentially appeal to existing watch wearers as most of the function of traditional watches these days is as jewelery. But to grab the other segment of customers, those who have abandoned watches in favor of phones, they really needed to focus on the features the watch provides that the phone doesn't. They focused too much on the watch simply being an extension of the phone. Notifications, Apple Pay, etc. All just minor conveniences over taking your phone out of your pocket. They should have hit harder with the sensor technology and what that offers. Sure, the tech is still limited, but it's truly the one thing that sets itself apart from the phone. I like the watch a lot and have accepted the limitations of being an early adopter, but it's an admittedly hard sell on most people since it isn't exactly cheap.

16. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

No, that is indeed what I was looking for. Thank-you!

(Though CNN brand news wouldn't be first choice, I'm happy to have something to fill the slot on the modular face until a more reputable choice comes along.)

17. clg82 macrumors regular

I have the CNN app and I am still showing "No apps you have installed offer complications" or some message like that when I go to the complication section of the apple watch settings....why is that?

18. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

Yeah, even the move from OS1 to OS2 wasn't all that exciting, for me. I use the time, weather, activity monitor and notifications/call/text/email, which the watch has done from the beginning. I'm not really into doing a zillion things from a tiny screen. That's what my phone is for.

19. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

After BlueMoon63 alerted me to it's availability, I just loaded the CNN Apple Watch app (strangely named "CNN app for iPhone") onto my watch, and the complication soon became available as a complication on the large central window on the modular face.

So far, it hasn't proven very exciting with the dramatic breaking news - - it has been showing the same headline for three hours straight now: "Pediatricians' plea: No alcohol during pregnancy -- ever".