Where are the DDR3 laptops?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thedudeAbides, Oct 9, 2008.

1. thedudeAbides macrumors member

So, to my knowlegde, only 1 production laptop uses DDR3 RAM, and that is the Lenovo T400. I don't think Dell costumers know the difference, so they are in no hurry. The improvements in performance are decent, but where it really helps is in battery life.

So with DDR3 RAM, LED backlit, and hybrid-graphics (the discrete graphics card turns off and let's the integrated graphics do the easy work), battery life goes through the roof. where is apple on this? cmon, lenovo of all companies has this (i don't think they have the hybrid graphics...). cost isn't that big of an issue, the lenovo 14" laptop with LED, discrete graphics, and 4 GB DDR3 ram is only ~$1500.

Maybe they are waiting for intel's new non-FSB chips to make the jump. Anyone have any thoughts or know of other laptops with DDR3? thanks.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They're not waiting for Nehalem to update. Mobile Nehalem is Q3 2009.

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You are right in that they will be waiting for Nehalem to make the transition if there is no need for DDR3 otherwise. Just because things can be done it doesn't mean it makes business sense to do so.

4. thedudeAbides thread starter macrumors member

19 hour battery life competition?

Thanks for the replies.

So apple feels no obligation to start competiting with Lenovo and HP who have 14" laptops that have 19 hours of battery life? Apple's future is in mobile computing, iphone and laptops. it shouldn't take much to pump the existing macbooks to meet that spec. hard to say that that wouldn't be good for business.

Apple is about the future. in the future, we should expect to only charge our laptops once a day or two (like our phones). with that power/cost now, why not?

5. Pixellated macrumors 65816

6. thedudeAbides thread starter macrumors member

Well, looks like i hit it.

Good:
    DDR3 RAM
    LED Backlighting
    Hybrid Graphics

Bad:
    Price
    No Firewire on Macbook, cmon

Maybe:
    Trackpad. I'll have to use it, i can't really use a track pad with

$1599 for a laptop is way too much. For me personally, anything over $1500 is a waste unless you need the machine for a business (i.e. the expense is essential to make you money). the price to performance above that is poor. In a year, the technology will be cheaper and better. Besides, laptops are 1.5 to 2 year investments at most. well, that's my take anyways. good upgrade, i am just not wealthy enough to take advantage of it. hopefully these steps will trickle down to other OEMs and become standard soon.

the dude abides

7. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I have no idea why everyone is going for the 2.4GHz MacBook. The only advantage is the backlit keys and a SLIGHTLY faster processor. Certainly not worth the extra money IMO.

8. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

Agreed - but some people (not all of course) need to have the latest "and greatest"