Where are the drive icons located?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stainlessliquid, Nov 26, 2007.

1. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

(using leopard)

Where are the icons located for all the different kinds of hard drives? I want to change a USB stick's boring white icon to something else but want to use an official apple icon instead of a "fan-made" one.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. stainlessliquid thread starter macrumors 68000

I know how to change the icons, my problem is that I dont know where all the icons are located.

For instance right now my only options are standard HDD icons and the time machine icon since those are on the desktop and I can do the "get info" thing. I dont want to use those icons though, I want to use something like the orange drive icon or one of the others. In order to do that I need to know where they are located so I can copy them.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Are you sure you want to mess with system files?

I'm still a little unsure if you want to make a global change or not.

5. stainlessliquid thread starter macrumors 68000

Its not changing the system files, I just want to copy the icns file and use it as an icon for the USB stick. I know what Im doing, I just dont know where to look.

Ive been checking the contents of finder.app and some of the other stuff in CoreServicess and havent found anything.

6. Xavier macrumors 68020

Why not take a trip over to interfacelift.com and find a set of icons that you like. Thats what I did for my harddrive and thumbdrive icons

7. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I created an jpg file and did a get info on the drive I wanted. Since OSX remembers the drive and icon I'm not sure if this is viable in your case:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But most icons are in the System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle

I do not see all the drive icons there though.

[​IMG]

8. NO M3RCY macrumors newbie

+1 just google up "mac icons" and you can probably find an icon that matches the brand and model for your drive.

9. stainlessliquid thread starter macrumors 68000

I couldnt find anything good at that site, I want an icon that matches the other icons, which is why I just want a regular official icon.

Thanks, that kind of gets me somewhere. I was aiming for the yellow USB hdd icon (which isnt in coretypes) but the blue airport drive icon in there is pretty spiffy so I guess I can live with that until I find the official USB drive icon.

10. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

how did you change your bootcamp icon? It wouldn't let me.. i tried to change it to the icon that mac uses for networked windows computers :p the old crt monitor BSoD'ing

11. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I used this hint to change my bootcamp icon. It says 10.4 but worked fine for me in Leopard. :)

12. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Changing the bootcamp drive icon was just as easy as changing ANY of the drives.

GetInfo and copy/paste from any image in preview or from another apps icon.

The thing is, check the padlock at the bottom. Unlock it so you can make the change or it won't let you. When your done, put the lock back on.

13. PupnTaco macrumors regular

PupnTaco

Check Iconfactory's Candy Bar application - I think this is what you're after.

14. Thrash911 macrumors 6502

Thrash911

Yes, this is true, if the Windows drive is FAT32 filesystem. If it's NTFS, this will not work.

15. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

mines NTFS :p I might go about changing it today but idk I have to reaaaad..