Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
So far all I can find is very cheap, Chinese looking bands with poor reviews.

There are some fairly decent looking leather ones but in particular there is a distinct lack of metal bands that aren't $30 junk.

I know a lot of us would really like Apple's link band but the price is beyond extortionate and you can find plenty of high quality metal bands in all kinds of colours and designs (including gold plated or 9ct gold) that come with regular mechanical watches costing $70-100 - but nothing in that range for the Apple Watch?

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
So far all I can find is very cheap, Chinese looking bands with poor reviews.

There are some fairly decent looking leather ones but in particular there is a distinct lack of metal bands that aren't $30 junk.

I know a lot of us would really like Apple's link band but the price is beyond extortionate and you can find plenty of high quality metal bands in all kinds of colours and designs (including gold plated or 9ct gold) that come with regular mechanical watches costing $70-100 - but nothing in that range for the Apple Watch?

I just bought a $33 'Milanese Loop' watchband from a seller on Amazon, and while it uses a clasp rather than a magnet as a fastener, it's a well constructed, good looking band I wouldn't have any problem recommending.

Check for Apple Watch Band W Metal Clasp, Aerb Milanese Loop Stainless Steel Mesh Replacement Strap Wrist Band for Apple Watch & Sport & Edition and you should be able to find it and have a look for yourself.

Reviews are very mixed, but most of them seem to be for other products rather than the actual band.

CellXor10

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
Connecticut, USA
Feel like this post may be better suited for the "Apple Watch Accessories" sub-folder of the forums, but either way- I agree with you OP that I haven't seen anything on the market that looks to be higher quality and on par with Apple's own offerings. I currently own a Blue Sports Band, Black Sports Band, Classic Buckle, and "Bright" Blue Leather Loop from Apple and do love them all very much and all get a fair amount of attention and use. But I would also be interested in more bands myself- particularly 3rd party ones. However I have not yet come across a single one I've deemed worth buying- none that would enter my rotation of use, and that is kind of surprising.

I do feel like some people have jumped on numerous 3rd party bands just because they mostly are relatively very cheap in comparison to Apple's lineup, but I would much prefer paying a higher price for a higher quality band.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Well there is always the option of buying a set of adapters, giving you the ability to use any high quality watch strap you like.

As for straps specifically designed for the Apple Watch, good quality ones will come in time. I've tried some of the cheaper knock offs, out of curiosity. So far, they have all paled in comparison to the Apple ones. Which is why I bought the Apple Milanese loop and I don't regret that decision a single bit.

Reactions: orev

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Europe

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
Who has found a better adapter that doesn't use screws to hold it together? I have two and one lost a screw and good luck finding that on the floor.

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Europe

Nice colours but judging by youtube videos it appears very cheap ie. you get what you pay for.

I'd be willing to pay 3x that for a decent band, one that is at least equivalent in quality to a traditional watch of the same price.

For example:

1423751057-24428700.jpg

^ Entire thing costs less than 1/3 of the Apple steel link band alone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.