Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Mr. Anderson, Apr 27, 2005.
Anyone else a little confused by this?
i'd say give em a few more weeks to roll out the updates. you don't want these awesome power mac updates (hah) to be trumped by ibook/imac updates...
ah, but I don't really have a few more weeks
my wife wants one and we're ready to buy - its hard to explain to her that she has to wait for her new machine.....
single 1.8 PowerMac
Does anyone here think that the existence of the Single 1.8 PowerMac mean that the iMacs won't be udated very soon. Look at the specs of the lowest PowerMac. 1.8ghz G5, 80 GB HD, 600mhz bus ... Looks a lot like the top iMac to me.
I'm thinking that we're not going to see an upgraded iMac for a few months at least. Of course, it's tough to make money betting against ThinkSecret.
The way I see it, I've got enough money stashed away for the bottom of the range iMac (1.6GHz at this stage) but the longer I prolong it, the better the machine I'll get. Right? If I wait until the next update (should be soon) then I should have more money to spend on an iMac so not only will the bottom of the range be better (1.8GHz?), but I'll probably be able to get the middle or even the 20-inch version.
Apple, there's no hurry.
Where the H-E-double hockey sticks are the iMacs!!!! This is what I get for reading rumor sites all day every day.
I've been expecting new iMacs this whole month. And I am someone who is trying to decide if it is worth upgrading from my 1Ghz G4 iMac to a new 20" iMac G5.
Plus I'm trying to avoid buying Tiger if I'm getting a new machine in a few weeks.
come one already!
I don't think iMacs will be upped anytime soon seeing the 1.8 PM is still available.
What's wrong with a little overlap? Different markets. One's the low-end "pro" machine, bring your own monitor. The other is a mid-range consumer machine, all-in-one. I don't see the logic in having absolutely no performance overlap between the two lines.
Single PowerMac 1.8 is still there, still has the GeForce FX 5200/64MB. Bad news for the iMacs indeed.
Also, no iBook or eMacs news either.
Nice to see they tried to bury the new PowerMacs release just 2 days ahead of Tiger's release.
Indeed, where are the rev b iMacs? I've got a approved PO on my desk at work for 4 shiny new iMacs, which I am holding onto until they update the spec's a bit.
I am still cautiously optimistic that they will surprise us with the iMac/eMac announcement tomorrow. It would help to take the sting out of underwhelming PowerMac updates.
if you look at the specs page for the G5 they talk about the 2x2 2x2,3 & 2x2,7 and no word about the 1,8 so the 1,8 is still the old model (the new lost ADC & have better cards so you could have 64mb vram when using dual monitors -> to meet the needs for tiger/monitor) and I think they will keep on selling it to people who want a G5 but don't want the iMac & don't need a dual proc machine...
probably they will remove this in time... like they did with the 17" display when the Al were there, just sell the stock and then dump it...
Are you sure that it's just the old model 1.8? I thought the old 1.8's had a 900mhz bus.
the old 2x1.8 had 900mhz... and indeed I'm not sure about the single 1.8, but they allso tell 8x superdrive... wich in the new is 16xDL still the 5200 card, still ADC & DVI (new have 2xDVI) new have no modem (optional) and all come with 512mb ram (if I remember correctly that was only standard for the 2x2.5 so far...)
new ones can be BTO with 2x400GB SATA the 1.8 -> 2x250GB SATA
and only the Duals have he 'new' button next to them ;-)
yes yo get Tiger with it, but I think starting on friday all the macs will have that label now...
1.8GHz PowerPC G5
600MHz frontside bus
512K L2 cache
256MB DDR400 SDRAM
Expandable to 4GB SDRAM
80GB Serial ATA
Three PCI Slots
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
64MB DDR video memory
56K internal modem
With the 5-7 days for delivery still on their website, I'm really hoping this is the case. They'd have to make Tiger available on the new machines, right?!?!
I have a feeling that they did not want to release so many new things before the Tiger launch BECAUSE...
you'll note: NEW HARDWARE IS USUALLY THE MAIN GRAPHIC ON APPLE'S MAIN PAGE.
Today, it is TIGER.
The G5's took second place to TIGER.
I don't think they want to have to have that happen much lol. I mean.. yeah.
Add the iBook to that list! Come on iBook/eMac/iMac updates tomorrow!
I have to second this. I don't think they will give us everything all at once but one upgrade every two weeks (maybe).
I really wanted to see a new iMac since I want to buy the next rev. and get Tiger with it
I know how you feel. My girlfriend uses my iBook all the time for her teaching and when I need it... well it could be easier with a iMac at my hands of course
Have they ever released new hardware on two consecutive days? I'm sure if other new Macs were ready to be announced, they would be here already.
My bet is new iMacs in June (in time for the school buying season). iBooks will be updated in early May. eMacs? It's possible they won't be updated anymore.
That 5-7 days notice makes me think there will be new iMacs and eMacs announced no later than next Tuesday. Wasn't there a reported rumor that the PM's would be in-store to buy on the 29th along with Tiger, but that the new iMacs would not actually ship for a few more weeks? With that in mind, "1-3 days" for PMs and "5-7 days" for iMacs make sense. I know some say new iMacs in June, but I'll stay optimistic until May 3rd. Tomorrow would be even better, though.
That is what struck me too..
I'm in the process of trying to get one ordered at work, and I just *know* that I'm going to place the order only to have a new one come out a week or so later.
<shout>TIGER IS OUT IN TWO DAYS!</shout>
<whisper>(P.S.: by the way, we got new PowerMacs with small speed bumps...)</whisper>
The current single 1.8GHz is exactly the same as before, including the 600MHz FSB. It's basically an iMac with no monitor and some expansion space. I thought long and hard about getting one of those instead of an iMac, but with the 20" display, the iMac is a better deal. I don't need the expansion or the bulk of the PowerMac right now.
So I'm waiting for a new iMac as well. We've budgeted for a new 20", but there's no way I'm going to buy now, what with the iMac approaching its record time between revisions.
And the iBook and the eMac have already surpassed their record time between revisions.
What about the 10% discount?
My interest is in whether the iMacs will be out in time to qualify for the 10% discount on new Macs during Friday's Tiger events. Of course we don't know if that discount will be offered, but I'm trying to be prepared.
If new iMacs are announced before Friday, and are orderable but not immediately available, would they be eligible for the discount? I'm thinking I would go Friday night, order the machine at the store, pocket the discount, and get the machine whenever it comes.
Lots of hypotheticals here, but I'm hoping that someone who has been at the OS release events in the past could extrapolate how this one might work.
Oh, and regarding the new iMacs: The new PMs offer the ATI 9600 as standard. Not the XT, not event the Pro, but the plain 9600. If the iMacs follow suit, that's hardly an improvement over the FX5200, though an increase to 128 MB would be most welcome.
What I really will want to know, but we won't be able to know for a while, is whether the power supply and fan issues have been resolved on the new iMacs. If they change video chips, it'll at least be an indicator that they changed the motherboard, and perhaps fixed up a few things. If they still come with the FX5200, it'll be suspect whether fixes were made (though it's still not determined.)
Yoiks! You're lucky, we got 7-10 days in the UK ... man the suspense is killing me. I've just about accumulated enough reasons to go out and buy the top spec rev B. I hope they dont disappoint as much as the PM upgrades.