Where are the iPad 2's?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Guitarboy315, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Guitarboy315 macrumors member

Hi everyone. So I've had trouble (just like all of you) finding an iPad 2 and what I want to know is where are all the iPad 2's? Why is there such a shortage? Are they not made yet? Are they locked up in some warehouse somewhere? Also, if they aren't made yet, are they currently being produced and how long will it be until there is a massive iPad shipment? Thanks everyone!

2. baummer macrumors 6502a

Steve Jobs' garage. They have to stop by his house before it reaches the customer so he can say the magic spell that makes them magical.

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

Apple made a bunch and then a bunch of people bought a bunch and more people ordered a bunch online. Apple's making more, but most are already spoken for.

4. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

I have inside information, which says that they're NOT being checked by Apple (backlight bleeding).

5. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Yeah! Where ARE all the iPads? Isn't Apple supposed to be "magical?" Why don't they wave their magic wand and produce a few million more of these, like, RIGHT NOW???

6. baummer macrumors 6502a

That's because it's a feature. Duh! They didn't want you to lose track of your iPad in complete darkness.

7. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I don't know about the rest of them.. But I'm holding one of them in my very hands right now.

8. poloponies macrumors 68030

If you want to do the math game, Apple's reported production capacity was 2,000,000 a month ASSUMING all its suppliers are up to speed. Displays are the weak link and certainly with the last generation they had a high rejection rate at first. That 2 million a month capacity needs to feed 3 channels: domestic retail, domestic online and overseas retail/online (assuming they're going to building up inventories fr next week's launch). There are currently upwards of 8,000 domestic retail locations.

So, dividing 2,000,000 by 30, you end up with 66,000 a day being manufactured. Assuming they've depleted whatever inventory they built up for launch, that's 66,000 per day feeding 8,000+ retail stores and online orders (less whatever number are being set aside for the foreign markets).

Add in the 18 flavors they're producing and the likelihood that you're going to find the model you want anytime soon is slim.

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Clearly you have not been around here lately.

10. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

:D That was the funniest thing I read all day. Thanks for the chuckle.

11. fpnc macrumors 68000

I know that the original iPad 3G model was in short supply when it came out. I waited in a LONG line on the first day of availability at the Apple Store and I got one of the last units. There were still a lot of people behind me, so it was a complete sell-out. I also know that the Best Buys in my area ran out in only a few minutes. Thus, this isn't anything that new, it even happened with the first version of the iPad (although, it appears that the online supply is particularly low this time around).

12. Justin Luck macrumors regular

I can totally imagine Jobs pitching this "feature" in his keynote presentation.

13. Krandor macrumors 6502

We heard some rumors before launch that production might not have been as high as anticipated and based on reports from launches I think that is accurate and Apple just isn't making as many as quickly as they want.

However, they are making more and they will make their way into stores in due time. I don't think you will see a massive shipment, but a slow trickle into stores.

14. fanboy05 macrumors regular

fanboy05

It would seem that if you didnt snag one of the 500,000 -1 million ipad2's that were sold out on friday/ sat that you are going to be out of luck for a while.

Lines were long in many places, and it was released during a work day, so people had to make arrangements to miss work so they could wait in those long lines to get one of the first 500,000 - 1 million ipads that were sold.

Of course you can buy one second hand from a reseller and pray it doesn't have the backlight problem that MANY people have reported, or you can order from apple and wait the month + for it to get shipped.

Apple is going to be releasing ipads to other countries over the next few weeks, so that will keep supply short for the USA customers who will have to wait for production to catch up with demand.

Long story short, the ipads are either sold or not made yet, and unless you want to pay extra to a person who bought extras so they could rip you off (since they could get the time off to wait in the long lines) , you will need to wait for apple to make more...

Of course you can go to the apple store every day and see if they get any in, and you may see a few coming in from time to time, but it is unlikely that for the next month or so you will walk into an apple store and see no lines and 20+ ipad2's sitting on a shelf waiting for you to pick the one model you wanted.

15. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

If you're in the DFW area, call the Gun Barrel City Walmart...they had a few this morning.

16. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Apple is currently stock piling all the iPadz because they intend to give every US citizen an iPad...

17. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Saw a white ipad2 (don't know what size) at the Target in Lake Charles, Louisiana.

Someone go get it!!