Where are the iWeb html files in your hard drive?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by ccriste, Apr 10, 2009.

1. ccriste macrumors newbie

I've just started using iWeb to create a website. However, I'd like to be able to get to the html files and be able to edit them with Text Wrangler. Would I be able to get to the files in my hard drive or are they secretly hidden away? I know I can probably get to them on iDisk but I'm wondering if they're also in my hard drive. I just did a half-assed search but couldn't find them.:(

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

iWeb stores it files in a packaged format located here /Users/username/Library/Application Support/iWeb/Domain.sites2

This is not in .html format.

The best solution to what you want to do is to publish to a folder on your computer, edit the .html files and then upload them to your site.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Just realize, that that with this technique, any edits you make to the HTML will have to be redone every time you publish from iWeb as it won't read those changes in.

4. ccriste thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, and also another newbie question

Thank you all for your reply. Your answers have been very helpful. Now I know what to do and what not to do.

I was going to start another thread with another newbie question but since I'm already here I'll just ask it right now.

Do any of you know how to create a hot link, or is it a hotspot link with iWeb?

Thanks, I just started using an old version of iWeb (1.1.2) last night and I can't seem to find a manual anywhere.

Best Regards

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Can you define a "hot link?"

6. 156457 macrumors 6502

Sorry to hijack the thread slightly, but it's not worth starting a new thread. Does anyone know if I switch from 'publish to FTP Server' to 'local folder' just to get a local backup, and then switch back to 'ftp server' will it want to upload EVERYTHING again? My site is 350MB.

7. ccriste thread starter macrumors newbie

Hotspot

I think I meant to say a "hotspot." Let's say you have a map and within that map is a shape of a star. You want someone to just click on the star, not anywhere else, and it's a link to another webpage. In a program like Dreamweaver, you can draw a shape around the star and create a link within that star shape.

It seems like in iWeb you must select the entire image to create a link and not be able to make a link within a specific area of the image.

8. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

You could try drawing a very small circle that fits within the star, turn off it's outline and make that the hyperlink?

9. ccriste thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried something similar. I drew a rectangular shape over some words that were part of a jpeg image. It didn't seem to work. But let me try it again. Maybe I was doing something wrong.

10. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It's more common name is an "image map," but I guess parts of the image are known as hot spots. Here's a quick link on them. I think your best bet would be to insert a HTML snippet and just add the code manually like that.

11. ccriste thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Angel. That link was very helpful.