Where are the larger LED Cinema Displays?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iondot, Oct 14, 2008.

1. iondot macrumors member

Is there some restriction or cost that would prohibit launching a 30" Cinema Display LED?

Why would someone buy the 23", quite aged, LCD Cinema Display? So they can poison the Earth with Mercury, Arsenic, and Polyvinyl Chloride?

The Cinema Display thing has been baffling me for a long time.

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

LED is the way the technology seems to be moving. :) Manufacturing cost is always an issue, but the LED technology is getting cheaper. Increased production capacity helps this, and a few monitor makers have already released a few LED units to the public. So the prices have come down some already, and will likely drop yet once more units become available. :)
    If it suits someones needs, and they can get it at a bargain, why not?
    Join the club. :p Hopefully the answers will be revealed soon, as Apple announces new upcoming products.

For example, we would likely see pro grade LED units when the Mac Pro releases. If today is anything to go by anyway (notebook & notebook specific LED monitor). ;)

3. iondot thread starter macrumors member

Did I miss a price drop? Cause I don't see any bargains on Apple's site.

4. Big Boss Man macrumors regular

Samsung makes a 30" LED backlight monitor. It retails for $4300 at Newegg so cost could be the issue.

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

Did you look under the refurb section?
    I don't know what, if anything, they may have ATM, but it might be worth checking.
    They're falling, but the price would need to come down more for most people I think. :(

6. SpinThis! macrumors 6502

You're only poisoning the earth when you throw it away. It's still a useful product. Apple is not going to replace a product with a more expensive one for (arguably) little gain. The older ACDs are still good products and still provide accurate, excellent color, good viewing angles, etc.

If you're worried about your environmental impact, go ride a bike to work, take shorter showers, get 10 people who don't recycle anything to do so—these fools are out there—and turn your thermostat down in the winter.

7. szark macrumors 68030

szark

My guess:

The rest of the Cinema Displays will be updated at MWSF, along with the Mac Pro and Mac mini. They will be glossy and DisplayPort only, like the new 24" display.

The only reason they haven't updated them yet is the fact that the current Mac Pros wouldn't be able to use them.

8. iondot thread starter macrumors member

My point was really more about how Apple is touting how environmentally friendly the new monitor is. The flip side to this coin is that their other monitors they sell must be environmentally unfriendly.

But if you would like to jump to the absurd and kind of dicky conclusion that I meant I would toss out my old monitor the second the new on hits my desktop, well, what could I possibly say?