Where Are The New Displays? :(

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by re2st, Jan 15, 2008.

1. re2st macrumors regular

2. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

And or price drop, with slimmer bodies.

I gave up and have ordered one of the current line. :(

3. -Noodles macrumors regular

-Noodles

I was really hoping for a price drop or update today on the monitors. I am buying a new mac pro and will need a display. I had planned on going with the 30".

I haven't done the research on what's current technology for displays. How does apple's 30" compete given its age? Is there anything I should be overly concerned about? I'm leaning towards buying one despite their age. Knowing the resale value will be high is comforting. It would be extremely irritating if they are holding back an upgrade for later in the quarter knowing the mac pro update will help empty their current inventory.

Given that there's a 30" display in every apple store I've seen it in use enough times to feel comfortable with its performance (colors, brightness, etc). Unfortunately with other 30" displays you have to go mostly by review and hope their satisfaction will equal your own as there is not an opportunity to see them in use anywhere. Input would be appreciated - thx :)

4. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I think as a computer display goes, they are still excellent. I love my 23". I think most issues people have are:

- price
    - lack of inputs
    - no HDCP support (for viewing protected HD content)

For an S-IPS panel, they are still towards the top of the list. I'm guessing the Dells would be the other choice for a lower price (and the chance of not getting an S-IPS panel in it).

I'm really surprised they didn't announce ANYTHING today. I do still think they are overpriced....but damn...does it look nice, and config with OS X is a breeze...no messing with endless controls that just end up making the picture look bad.

If you were looking for the 23" I'd say....it's probably an easier choice. The 30" is still really pricey.

-Kevin