Where are the new iPad games?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by cmvsm, May 22, 2010.

1. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Man, the selection for new iPad games has been garbage since the thing came out. There were some good ones initially such as ports from the iPhone (Plants vs. Zombies, Fieldrunners, Real Racing, Let's Golf, Flight Control, Dungeon Hunter, etc.), but zero since then.

These developers need to get on the stick and start producing some iPad specific games pronto!

2. travistaylor macrumors regular

I will have to agree, I am somewhat disappointed in the app selection as of now...

However, I keep reminding myself that this thing isn't even two months old yet!

3. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

iPad Games are GREAT

I've found the current selection of iPad games have satisfied my gaming addiction :D
    So much so, I just traded in my Nintendo DSi and PSP Slim ;) Haven't touched either one since I got my iPad.

4. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Sam and Max: The Devil's Playhouse is an impressive game available on the Mac/PC, PS3, and the iPad (not the iPhone). That's pretty much it for what I can think of that's a very high quality title available on the iPad and not the iPhone. I've got to check if "episode 2" came out yet (the game is split into five episodes released monthly). I have to agree that we haven't seen too many games for iPad that aren't iPhone ports. Both platforms will probably get most games, though, since the fourth generation iPhone and the iPad should have similar specifications.

5. Tulipone macrumors 6502

I have been playing hotelmogel. It is okay, but I am not sure how long it will last.

6. Jinkst macrumors regular

Patience is a virtue mate. I'd rather they spend the extra month developing a game before releasing it than bring it out at practically beta stages and then be frustrated moreso waiting for updates to fix bugs to make it playable.

7. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Agree sadly. There needs to be more good games on the App Store. I heard however Orbital HD, Pinball HD and Ozone HD are new favorites for many. You could give them a try.

8. iserian macrumors 6502

We have pocket legends --- what more do you need...

9. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

There was talk of a SimCity release on the 12th, but despite some blog articles, I could never trace that date back to an official EA press release, nor verify that there's supposed to be an iPad specific release. And obviously it didn't get released on the 12th. There IS apparently a SimCity Deluxe coming up, but it just says it's for "mobile" platforms and doesn't specify iPad.

Short version: still jonesing for a good city simulator.

Other wishes: Professor Layton titles, Trauma Center (how awesome would that be? There's that amateur surgeon game, but I don't like the adult swim aesthetic).

10. Battlestar macrumors 6502

What about Pac Man?

How is it to play by swiping your finger?

11. HXGuy macrumors 68000

I've been waiting for a Sim City game for the iPad but nothing yet. I wonder if they will release anything...they had an iPhone version that I liked.

12. kutsushita macrumors regular

kutsushita

Amateur surgeon for the iPad is pretty awesome as well as cod: zombies

13. wombat888 macrumors 6502a

If you like Civ, Civ Revolutions is an excellent iPad version (originally coded for consoles).

There are also some good chess and checkers games that are fun to play with people of varying ages. My dad (69 years old) and nephew (11) had fun at a restaurant with the iPad on the table between them playing checkers against each other. But I realize that's not what some people are looking for.

I think we'll start seeing a lot of iPad apps coming out in the next few months as developers have time to work on them. I work for a company that does software development and has a well-regarded iPhone app that we haven't ported to iPad yet. We bought a company iPad about a week ago to start the thought process. These things take time, there's a pipeline it has to go through, except in the case of one-man type companies where it's a 25-year-old developer staying up all night to get an app completed.

14. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

It's still early.

I'd much rather devs take their time and release a quality game than be hasty and release some overpriced garbage.

I assume by the next OS there will be a few games that really, really show off the iPad.

15. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

I been looking everywhere to see what people think of the iPhone version of simcity in 2X mode on the iPad! Does any one know how it plays on the iPad and what the graphics look like. Just wondering if it's acceptable until the iPad Simcity Deluxe comes out, if it does?

I keep hearing mobile version and see no mention by EA of the iPad, but can't believe they will not develop it for the iPad!

16. acastic macrumors regular

WWDC and E3. The goods will be announced then.

17. karlth macrumors regular

More applications are coming. Speaking as a developer (and I guess many others have a similar reason) it is just a question of when the applications can be released not when. Apple's review process has also slowed down recently which doesn't help matters.

What is though all important is that Apple continue keeping the SDK(software development kid) homogeneous between the different platforms(iPhone/iPad & iPhone 4G). For the end user that will always mean more applications.

18. kaelell macrumors 6502

Good apps take time to develop and test, & asking people to develop apps without even holding and using an ipad, only using an emulater your not going to get the best we can get. Now that people have ipads in their hands , they have a feel of how it reacts and strengths , weaknesses , ergonimics and so forth , the quality of apps will improove vastly.

p.s I personaly think theres a great selection of games already, considering its not even released yet in europe ! ( not for a few hours :p )

19. FunkyJunk macrumors regular

FunkyJunk

Something to consider - Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars is a great, deep iPhone game that works great in 2x mode. I've almost finished it and I've never felt like it was lacking by not being in native resolution. The controls are much easier to use with the larger iPad and the details in the graphics are much more legible.

They've just released a demo of the game, so at least give it a shot.