Where are the .pkg files going?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Scarlet Fever, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I downloaded the QT and iTunes updates, and when they finished downloading, a windows came up (MacBook -> Library -> Packages). I'm assuming the downloads are supposed to go in there, but they are no where to be seen.

Any ideas? I have a slow internet connection (256k) so it's a pain downloading them again

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Was it a Finder window? Are you using Software Update or are you manually getting these from Apple's site? :)

3. Scarlet Fever thread starter macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

yeah, it was a Finder window, and i'm using Software Update. I told it to download the updates instead of installing them so I can install them on the other computers in the house.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Ahh, gotcha. You can download 'em to wherever you want. I don't have that Packages folder but I never download the updates manually. I don't know much about the other computers you have but it might be a better idea to manually download the updates from Apple to ensure you get the appropriate file(s) because Software Update is designed to only get the files that your specific machine needs. It shouldn't matter so much for iTunes, but QuikTime might struggle. In the meantime, try restarting Finder to see if the packages then show up. :)

5. Scarlet Fever thread starter macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

ahh that sucks. Ah well... i might go for a walk while it downloads.

Thanks for the help, mate. You probably should go get a job or something:p

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

after u downloaded them the 1st time did u install them?? because i have installed a few of them and they are still on the packages folder... intersting

8. Scarlet Fever thread starter macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I'm telling Software Update to download only, and when they finish downloading, I can't find the files, so I can't install them. I've searched for them in Spotlight, but I still couldn't find them. I followed MJ's advice and just downloaded them via the Apple site.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Now follow your own advice, get a job, and get broadband :p

10. Scarlet Fever thread starter macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

:p smartarse kiwi

i have a job lined up at an Apple reseller, but i can't work there till later this year because i'm in my final year of high school.

i do have what they call broadband over here, but it isn't very broad. the average internet speed in Australia is 1MB/s, and (because of my parent's stubbornness) my internet is only 256k. I've been trying to convince them to switch to an ADSL2+ plan which has 100 times the download speed (24mb/s) at the same cost as our current plan ($50 AU a month). the only pitfall is the download limit; we would go from infinite to 18GB/month.

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hehe hate to have 8mb connection!!!! too bad i cant get adsl2+. i dont have to mention the T word do i?? some people might have a heart attack. biggest rip off.....

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If it's any consolation, I can't get 2+ either. I'm using a 6 Mb/s connection at the moment and it's fast enough most of the time. I don't foresee needing a faster connection until we can download HD movies etc.

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

how much do they charge you for your 6mbps connection??? my 8mb is $89.95 AUD ($94.45 NZD) which gives us unlimited,capped back to 64kbps after 12gb tho.. telstra....ggrrrrr :mad:

australia is a very expensive place for BB.

14. Scarlet Fever thread starter macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

yeah it's terrible at the moment. Hopefully whoever is elected in the next election (Rudd) will bring faster, cheaper broadband to the country.

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

NZ$66 (AU$60) for the first 10 GB, then $12 ($11) per 10 GB. I have the option of using a "throttled" plan but I prefer to have it fast all the time :)

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Shop around. I've got ADSL2+ with 20GB uncapped and then unlimited capped at 256Kb/s. Even if you can't access ADSL2+, some ISPs will let you use the same plans but obviously limited to ADSL speeds (8Mb/s). If you can do it, it's cheaper than regular ADSL. :)

17. Scarlet Fever thread starter macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

who's your provider? I'm interested :)

18. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

As long as you did "Download Only", it should have downloaded the installer packages to that folder that popped up when the download completed. No idea where they would be if they aren't there because that's where they end up for me when I do Download Only (so I can get a look at what's in the patches before I install them :p).

19. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Internode. I couldn't be happier with them.

20. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

dad REFUSES to go with any1 else but telstra because the family is on that stupid plan with them. 2 mobiles, house fone, interwebz etcetc. anyway 8mbps is the max conenction i can get here :( no cable, no ADSL2+.. what is a boy to do!?!?! :(