Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ken91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2022
Bought the Apple TV three weeks ago, absolutely loving it but one of the reasons I bought it was for the incredible screensavers to show off on my LG OLED screen. I've only had four so far: I have daily download for new screensavers set-up but after three weeks I have been stuck with same four screensavers. Where are the rest of them?????

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
Bought the Apple TV three weeks ago, absolutely loving it but one of the reasons I bought it was for the incredible screensavers to show off on my LG OLED screen. I've only had four so far: I have daily download for new screensavers set-up but after three weeks I have been stuck with same four screensavers. Where are the rest of them?????
I’ve had this happen a few times over the years, even down to one screensaver once. I changed The daily setting to something else and back again, rebooted, checked software updates, normal stuff. It went away within a week, and not sure if anything I did mattered. The good news is that it’s not the norm. The selections change over time, going through phases and seems to get stuck occasionally.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
You might try changing the default video output. see if that kicks in downloading new, you may be able to change back after a few days.

I think it only downloads to match what you're set at,
I've got match rate and range set to on, and default set to SDR 4k, when I'm watching something in HDR/Dolby and pause, It will drop back to SDR when the screen saver kicks in.
It used to stay in whatever mode your paused video was, so if I was watching a dolby vision show, and paused, It would only play one screen saver, which I think was the only DV one it had.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
I think you misunderstand whats going on.

You have no real 'control' of what screensavers are downloaded ..... only how often they are refreshed.

You cannot choose which ones to have etc in the settings as im sure you have realised.

Sometimes you get stuck with the same ones for months, and sometimes you suddenly find a couple of new ones have appeared.

The trouble is the file sizes - they are pretty big.

You only have to look on macOS Sonoma to see the vast number available and you have to specifically pick which ones to download and use given their large file sizes you'll not automatically get them all.

I imagine the TVOS update/download/refresh has to take a much more cautious approach given the finite on board storage of the AppleTV - it cant just willy nilly download all of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.