Where are the reviews?!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lastochka, Oct 16, 2008.

1. lastochka macrumors member

Where are the reviews of the new MacBook and MacBook Pro? I mean professional reviews with pictures and stuff! It seems the media and journalists have had over a day to play with their new toys, so what gives?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

Engadget and MacWorld have both done "first impressions", which is about as detailed of a review that you'll probably see until people have more than a day to play with them.

4. lastochka thread starter macrumors member

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

6. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

Indeed, this is really strange, especially given the hype that was generated before the launch.

It almost seems to be too quiet right now. Are the Glassbooks such an disappointment that nobody cares anymore?

I would like to get some realistic battery-life figures, noise-ratings and the like. Not only pretty pictures :(
    (Oh, well I forgot it is only about looks nowadays...):mad:

7. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I read some reviews of it (sorry don't have links) and it was mixed--some good things, some bad things, and some so-so reviews on specifics of it. Overall I guess those sites I read didn't give it great reviews nor bad reviews. I think engadget (sp), PC (something), and a dedicated Apple review site gave them basically the same alright reviews. Sorry, but I don't remember the specific sites. Others on here posted links on here and I went to them. I guess the reviews are like most posters here. Some like the new one, some don't, and some say it is OK. Depends who you ask.

8. lastochka thread starter macrumors member

That is exactly my point. Given all the rumours and hype there appears to be no full-length professional reviews whatsoever! Battery life, noise, heat and benchmarks - where are those numbers?!

9. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

10. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

Thank you, but this just highlights the state of the union.

I am amazed that some knocked-together 250 word 'first-impressions' and meaningless point-score is all what is available after a week of availability to educate a potential buyer. If it where not for Macrumors one could come to the conclusion the Macbook launch has not even happened... Strange!

11. lastochka thread starter macrumors member

Yes, thanks, I know of the "first impressions" posted by Engadget, Gizmodo and that. No offence, but WTF is "geekbench," eh "two?" (Presumably the first one wasn't "geeky" or "benchy" enough :D). I'm talking about real benchmarks by some[what] respectible sites like anand or cnet or pcmag et al.

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

geekbench is a standard measurement program in the PC community. Primatelabs is very well respected in the Mac community, probably more so than the ones you mentioned, particularly cnet (yuck!). Its still early days to come up with a thorough review from a respected journalist. Give it a few more days.

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

Ars Technica just this morning published the first part of their MBP review:
    http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/2008-macbookpro-review.ars

Here's Gizmodo's (incs. some benchmarks):
    http://gizmodo.com/5063492/macbook-and-macbook-pro-dual-review

Slashgear's:
    http://www.slashgear.com/apple-macbook-review-2019496/

PCMAG:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2332516,00.asp

(FWIW, there are way more MBP professional articles out there than just MB)

Basically, if you do an advanced Google search and set the date range "for the last week", you'll get a boat load of them, with more being added daily.

You're also on the worlds largest Mac forum. There are tons of threads of user reviews where if you have a question not covered already, most are quit happen to answer it for you.

It's been 3.5 "work days" since the launch. Gesh.

14. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew