iPod Where are the songs?

CommonMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
Midwest
I'm new to Macs but really liking I-Tunes. I just added some songs by ripping a cd I burned about a year ago with MP3 files. They are now in my I-tunes library but where are the files actually stored on my computer?

I heard you can make the I-tunes library exist anywhere...like even on an external hard drive. I wonder how?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
First, it's "iTunes."

Second, by default, your music files go into ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music.

Third, here is an article on how to move your iTunes library location.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Select the song, press Command+R. It will show the song in Finder, from there, you can Command-click on the window title and icon to see the folder hierarchy.

CommonMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
Midwest
Thanks

WC, Sa, MJ:

Thanks a million. I'll try it out.:)

Another problem, which may be outside the scope of this discussion, is the problem of transfering MP3 files (or any data) from a PC to my MAC.

Any USB External disk drive that works in the PC, does not work in the MAC and vise versa.

Someone told me to format the disk drive in the MAC, but the format options appear to be limited to MAC extended, MAC something else, and unix. I don't see anything about FAT in the disk utility function.:confused:

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
First of all, it is Mac. A MAC is a Machine Access Code, or MAC address, a hexadecimal code used to uniquely identify your computer on the internet.

Secondly, utilize the format utility on a Windows machine to create a FAT32 drive. Apple has removed the DOS file system as an option, as many functions of Application does not work correctly on FAT drives. Once you have a FAT32 drive you can use it on both machines.

TEG

calculus

Dec 12, 2005
WildCowboy said:
First, it's "iTunes."
Firstly, it's 'firstly'...

This is not aimed at you specifically but I'm amazed by how many people here get uptight about the spelling of Apple products but can't use the English language properly.

Rant over...

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
calculus said:
Firstly, it's 'firstly'...

This is not aimed at you specifically but I'm amazed by how many people here get uptight about the spelling of Apple products but can't use the English language properly.

Rant over...
Either is acceptable, as long as you are consistent in your usage for successive enumerations.

CommonMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
Midwest
Thanks Again

Okay, there seems to be a consensus that I neet to format it as FAT32. Thanks, I will try this.

CommonMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
Midwest
Far Out

P.S. - How do you get those groovey AND I MEAN GROOVEY pictures in your side bar?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
CommonMan said:
Okay, there seems to be a consensus that I neet to format it as FAT32. Thanks, I will try this.

Yeah. It's called MS-DOS File System in Disk Utility. :)

CommonMan said:
P.S. - How do you get those groovey AND I MEAN GROOVEY pictures in your side bar?

Do you mean our avatars (mine's a hill)? You need 500 posts before you can upload one of them. :eek: