Where are the special effects in iMovie '08 ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by techmonkey, Aug 9, 2007.

1. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

I dont see any special effects in iMovie '08 like iMovie HD had. The only buttons I see are Sound, Photo, Text, and Transistions.

I know that you can have iMovie HD installed if you want, but I like the new features in iMovie '08. (very easy to edit/use)

Note, I also had Slick movie effects installed. I did the upgrade for iLife, and now I dont see Slick listed anymore. Anyone know if this was uninstalled, or will I have to manually go find and delete the install?

EDIT:
    I just found the link on Slicks website. It looks like iMovie '08 doesnt support external plugins, so Slick only works on older versions. I hope Apple changes this. Ive only played wit iMovie '08 for 15 min, and its so much easier to use than iMovie HD.
    http://www.geethree.com/slick/imovie8.html

2. Alistair1990 macrumors member

Alistair1990

Same here, I used the video effects in iMovie HD in a lot of my projects however these seem to have been omitted from the update. I can just use iMovie HD then import to iMovie 08 but it is still a bit annoying.

Alistair

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

So the $300 some I spent in plugins is for nothing if I use iMovie '08?

Good to know since I haven't bought iLife '08 yet.

4. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

just makes you think of all the 3rd party companys that make the effects - loss of money or what

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

You can keep both iMovieHD and iMovie'08 on the same mac, and use iMovieHD when you need your plugins...

6. jacko0 macrumors newbie

What about it you have loaded the video into Imovie 8, Imovie HD will now not be able to read it.

7. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

SilentPanda--

You are correct. iMovie 08 does not support plugins...

8. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

$$$$$$?

Quick question:
    Why would you spend 300 dollars on an amateur video editing software, when for 300 bucks you could get Final Cut Express that already has all of your little plug-ins?

9. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Question:

Where do you see iLife 08 for $300??

10. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I think he meant that he spent $300 on plugins for iMovie.....

11. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

I don't understand why people put so much money into an amateur NLE. Spend the money, and get something better like Final Cut Express, or maybe, just maybe, even Pro. As easy to use, yet more functionality. Plus, for like 5 months, FCE was on sale for 100 bucks. Almost as cheap as iMovie.

12. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

When they add the skimming feature and easy editing to FCE or Pro, I will look into it. I love these new features in iMovie. If you havent used it, you will be suprised how easy/nice it is.

What you also have to understand is Pros can use iMovie for quick stuff. I've heard a number of people state that they use iMovie for things they need to get done quickly, and leave Final Cut for the more detailed stuff.

13. Yarramalong macrumors newbie

Reinvention of the wheel?

Keep iMovie 6 on your computer. You can use the plugins to produce clips to import in your movie.
    Yarramalong :mad:

14. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I own FCE. I find iMovie easier to use. So I bought the plugin's for iMovie. It cost more but it did what I needed.