Where are the system sounds located?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
For the life of me I can't find them :confused: I've searched for the existing sound names (like Submarine, Tink, Sosumi etc) but found nothing.

Reason is I want to add a new one, but can't figure out how, so I'm assuming I need to pop it where ever the rest of them are :confused: :confused:

stoid

macrumors 601
I've noticed that running a search in Finder does not search parts of the System folder sometimes. I would suggest powering into target disk mode and searching from a second machine so that it will look everywhere.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
If it's an aif(f) you could put one of three places, and it will appear in System Preferences under Sound and can be used as an alert sound:

/System/Library/Sounds/ (needs admin authentication)
/Library/Sounds/ (systemwide, doesn't need auth.)
~/Library/Sounds/ (user spesific)

Enjoy...

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
The "Find" part of the Finder specifically ignores the /System hierarchy. My guess is to keep the n00bs from playing with things they don't understand and sending the OS into a spiralling death.

stoid

macrumors 601
yellow said:
The "Find" part of the Finder specifically ignores the /System hierarchy. My guess is to keep the n00bs from playing with things they don't understand and sending the OS into a spiralling death.
Is there a way around this? Would adding the System folder to Specific Places accomplish this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.