Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sr4372

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009
iphone sales

just my thoughts on all the iphones being sold..
if you really think about it apple corp, is probably very happy that if there was some kind of a loop hole people were exercising , i mean think about it ,, apple is selling iphones wether it be through att or loopholes . they signed on with att as the sole carrier and if 5 out of 10 people won't switch to att , apple is making money on those 5 people. but if a loophole was found and apple can put iphones in 10 out of 10 people's hands than they just made some more money?

just my thoughts

branjosef

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
We all know who wears the pants in his house...

Not him. He is wearing shorts. :D

I have the answer to all this.... Rod Blagoevich is behind it all. Have you ever noticed when you buy an iphone on ebay it comes shipped with a poem and random pieces of hair. If you agree to buy two of them, not only is shipping free, but you also get a senate seat at no extra charge. He's the brains behind the operation. He is responsible.

automationbites

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2009
Malaysia
hi everyone.

Saw this post and thought of giving some insights on this topic. I sell iphones on ebay but its the unlocked version. However i guess, my situation can be adapted for the locked iphones as well.

Firstly, i would think the profit margin for iphones are not as high as USD100. In fact ebay and paypal charges takes almost all the profit. For my case, I get the iphones from Hong Kong and singapore and united states too.

I sell them at 3g 8gb usd785 and 16gb usd890. These are officially unlocked meaning that they originate from outside the states.

Now here's the thing, i'm able to source suppliers willing to sell me cheaper phones so i can re-sell them on ebay, however my suppliers in turn have their own suppliers.

What i believe is if you know the source then you're able to make some money on ebay.

However, I make very little from ebay bcoz i have to go through the middleman.

So there are legit sources of phones suppliers out there. You and me just know where to dig it out. :)

iCantwait

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
when i was in NYC bout a month ago heaps of stores had 'unlocked' 3Gs in the US box (thinner saying att on the back) good prices too, i just chuckled due to my official unlock from Optus in AU

PS, NYC is the greatest city on earth

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
hi everyone.

Saw this post and thought of giving some insights on this topic. I sell iphones on ebay but its the unlocked version. However i guess, my situation can be adapted for the locked iphones as well.

Firstly, i would think the profit margin for iphones are not as high as USD100. In fact ebay and paypal charges takes almost all the profit. For my case, I get the iphones from Hong Kong and singapore and united states too.

I sell them at 3g 8gb usd785 and 16gb usd890. These are officially unlocked meaning that they originate from outside the states.

Now here's the thing, i'm able to source suppliers willing to sell me cheaper phones so i can re-sell them on ebay, however my suppliers in turn have their own suppliers.

What i believe is if you know the source then you're able to make some money on ebay.

However, I make very little from ebay bcoz i have to go through the middleman.

So there are legit sources of phones suppliers out there. You and me just know where to dig it out. :)
Exactly what we suspected, low margin and low profit.

When the iphone 3g was released people were making first buyer was making from $600-350 a phone all prophet and then he would then sell the phones to the exporter, the exporter would sell them for around $1200-1000 a phone so around $1000-600 profit were coming out of each iphone from what i have seen those were the profits being made. Somebody correct me if they have seen otherwise.:apple: now the prices fluctuate the current price is $100 profit for the first buyer exporter maybe $200 profit total including the first buyers $100.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
When the iphone 3g was released people were making first buyer was making from $600-350 a phone all prophet and then he would then sell the phones to the exporter, the exporter would sell them for around $1200-1000 a phone so around $1000-600 profit were coming out of each iphone from what i have seen those were the profits being made. Somebody correct me if they have seen otherwise.:apple: now the prices fluctuate the current price is $100 profit for the first buyer exporter maybe $200 profit total including the first buyers $100.

I thought you were foreign for a second. Typically we do lower price to higher price, like $1000-$1200.

Anyway, this topic is about iPhones selling in the US. Plus your math is wrong.

fedup flyer

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
Also very difficult as the containers are sealed with a serialized lock. If you cut off the lock and replace it, it will not match the serial number on the paperwork and it will easily be traceable back to the port/terminal. Its very unlikely that someone is grabbing a few boxes off of a shipping container or air freight shipment.

I don't know where you get your info but it is not realiable. I have personally transported many, many tons of electronics from Asia by air and I have never seen a serialized container. Those may be on shipboard containers but most consumer electronics move by air.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Any update or new ideas on this? I want to give this another shot.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
Don't AT&T affiliate stores carry iPhones now? I could see these retailers turning around and unloading them on ebay instead of the retail shop.

hbenitez09

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Don't AT&T affiliate stores carry iPhones now? I could see these retailers turning around and unloading them on ebay instead of the retail shop.

The only stores allowed to sell the iPhone are ATT stores, best buy, and walmart all which require you to sign a contract to buy an iPhone or have an account. Also all the reps at those stores who sell mobile phones work on hourly plus commision so it is unlikely that a rep would risk their job and commision for a few extra dollars. At mobile stores you get paid based off how many contracts you open not how many phones are sold there is no money being made on any device sold. Carriers take a lost on the initial sAle of the phone with the intent that you will spend enough money on your monthly service for them to make their money back and also turn a profit. Hense the 30 a month data plan required. Now on a commision based environment you are handled chargebacks. That's commisions advanced for the contracts opened but your still on a hook if that contract is canceled in the first 6 months. No rep at least I wouldn't would risk making less money in commision to exploit a loop hole

hbenitez09

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
There is really no loop hole fan accounts only provide up to 20% off full retail cost of the iPhone which means 500 600 or 700 20% percent off that isn't enough to make a profit from selling on eBay. Plus most discounts don't apply to iPhones. 2nd of all sim removal does nothing to ATT systems what phone your sim is in doesn't have anything to do with contracts. Apple could care less how their phones are sold they make money either way since they sell every phone at the full retail price they will make money on everything sold unless the items are stolen. Only company lossing money is ATT most phones Re bought at the contract price of 100,200,300 meaning ATT tAkes a 400 dollar lost every iPhone sold after ETF fee they still lose 200. And your only allowed one early upgrade before you complete 12 months on your contract. ATT is getting on top of this faster then people think. As I posted above reps wont risk lossing out on commision to help someone get an iPhone and also iPhones are monitored so closely that any rep/manager would b fired for not activating an iPhone on site or for giving the discounted price to someone who doesn't meet the requrements.

xsecretfiles

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2008
please, you guys really don't think some Chinese manufacturer set a side some iphones for himself..and distribute them around the world under the radar....

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
im pretty sure u can buy an iphone from an apple store, u might have to check and let me know because im not 100% positive.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
just my thoughts on all the iphones being sold..
if you really think about it apple corp, is probably very happy that if there was some kind of a loop hole people were exercising , i mean think about it ,, apple is selling iphones wether it be through att or loopholes . they signed on with att as the sole carrier and if 5 out of 10 people won't switch to att , apple is making money on those 5 people. but if a loophole was found and apple can put iphones in 10 out of 10 people's hands than they just made some more money?

just my thoughts
I disagree. First apple only makes money on the device sale sale one time. So if i was apple i would want more people buying iphones brand new then used off ebay. Second these phones may still be under warranty. So as apple i would hate having to take care of these phones. Third if someone is using a jailbroke unlocked phone then odds are he would pirate apps instead of buying them.

fullmanfullninj

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2009
After reading through this (rather interesting) thread, I've come to a few conclusions.

This point was proven incorrect earlier. Apple (and AT&T I think..? Either one of the two or both...) knows which phones go to what retailers and are aware of all the IMEIs of all the phones in the shipments.
It's...rather unlikely that stolen phones are sold. In an event, what does Apple do? Blacklist the IMEI. If the phones were truly stolen, they would not be able to work and the seller would have a whole lot of negative feedback.

And as far as I am aware, Apple and AT&T do not do business contracts. I mean this is only based on what I know, so if they do, please say so. AFAIK, Blackberrys are the only 'business' phone.

One simple solution - stolen money. It's a pretty easy way, if you think about it. Say you manage to get 700$. You purchase a phone off ebay from someone for a comparatively low price. You resell at a higher price. Slowly you'll make your way up. And if no resale, then you got a free iPhone.

Whether they make their way up or they start with stealing tens of thousands of dollars, they will probably make various iPhone purchases on ebay or whatever resource they have.

In terms of legality, the IPHONE itself is legal enough. Perhaps purchased from some ATT customer who didn't want their iPhone? The means of getting said iPhone are not legal. But the iPhone is, so Apple & ebay let it go.

Just a thought, since everyone has been more concerned with illegally obtained iPhones

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.