Where are they getting these phones?1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pinkstiletto66, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

I'm on ebay looking to buy a phone and I'm trying to figure out where these people are getting these iphones? When a person says they opened up a second line just to get a new phone and dont need it anymore, doesnt that mean they would have to pay for cancellation fees to cancel that line to keep the phone? And how are they making a profit? 200 + 325= 525, and selling a phone for on average 500, doesnt add up. I NEED A PHONE DAMMIT! lol and I don't know if I can trust all that. :confused:

2. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

3. WRIGHTRACING macrumors regular

eBay is okay...Just be sure you do your homework on who is selling something...Make sure they have a high feedback percentage and number.

4. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Their telephone number? I get the having a great feedback score.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

No, he meant a large number of feedbacks.

Also, check the feedback to see the dates. Once in a while someone will hijack a person's account that has been dormant for a while. If you see an incredible deal, but that high feedback ID hasn't done any buying or selling in months or years, be a bit wary.

As to where people get the phones, it's easy if you already have several lines. Each one can get updated phones. For example, not long ago my wife's line came up for an upgrade... but since she liked the phone she had, she kept it while I used her upgrade to get an extra smartphone for cheap.

6. WRIGHTRACING macrumors regular

LOL...Not their phone number, but feedback number. The percentage is an average, as you know, but the number is how many sales or purchases they've made to get that number. Just because someone has 40-50 score, and 100% feedback doesn't mean they're trustworthy...That likely means they bought 48 things and sold 2 that they were honest on.

Click on their number and it will bring up a screen showing their feedback for the past year. Then you can choose if you want to see the feedback for the items they've bought or sold, and see how many they have sold, and how good of a seller they were.

7. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, when I looked up the upgrade policy it said an iphone upgraded would be 400 once you extend your contract.
    However don't you have to activate and use/keep the phone in order to get and keep the phone at the discounted price (400 for the lower, in this case 16 gb phone?) I still dont see the profit.. Ugh..

8. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

9. alectheking macrumors 6502a

how about kinda like this..paid for iphone 4 on contract $300, used it for a few months, sold it in pristine condition and unlocked for $750. My cancellation fee for whatever reason was only a little over $100, so obviously it worked out pretty evenly in my favor and i used the phone for 6 months.

10. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Got it. It works mainly if you've been a customer for a long time, and its not a fresh line.
    Might just stay clear of ebay and take my booty to the iphone store. lol.