Where Are You Buying Applecare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boshii, Mar 3, 2011.

1. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Hey guys. I recently purchased my new MBP and i've been looking into getting Applecare for it. In the past, I would look to eBay for my Applecare needs and they always came through. I read the few horror stories and many success stories and decided it was worth the risk. I'm actually getting my old MBP serviced now thanks to eBay Applecare :D

But now I went to eBay and there are hardly any listings for Applecare. I'm reading it's because Apple changed their policies in some way.

So I'm wondering where's a good place to go for discounted Applecare, now that eBay is no longer an option?

2. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Amazon. Its legit and cheaper than apple.

3. frogger2020 macrumors regular

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Apple with the student discount. Cheapest possible way if you are eligible.

5. HBOC macrumors 68020

probably one of the best places to buy from, as well as being cheaper than the edu discount! B&H

6. boshii thread starter macrumors 68040

boshii

But it's not cheaper than Apple's education pricing.

The 15" MBP Applecare on Amazon is $283.73. In Apple's education store it's $239. I believe I paid $159 on eBay for Applecare for my mid-2009 15".

Thanks, but not cheaper than edu.

7. skiltrip macrumors 68030

For my 2011 15", I'm definitely going to get it right from Apple for the edu price.

In the past I've bought eBay AppleCare (code only) and had no problem with it (though I never had to use it). But I know darned well that was sketchy and at the time I wanted to save a buck.

8. HBOC macrumors 68020

When I bought AC for my MBP in 2009, it was $249 I thought..is it $239? In anycase, not everyone can get the edu pricing.

9. boshii thread starter macrumors 68040

boshii

I may actually get it from there if they don't charge tax. Do they?

10. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

or not to buy, I herd allstate does personal artifact insurance for $49/year which also covers accidental damage.

11. HBOC macrumors 68020

Funny thing is when I called AppleCare to get a refund (Apple gave me a brand new computer 7 days ago for my old one), they asked if I had the receipt handy, but they were able to pull it up on their system as I bought it in the Apple Store. So they have changed their policy for sure. I wonder what would've happened if I had fallen victim on eBay and had no receipt or box, but just a code? Don't wanna find out ;)

12. HBOC macrumors 68020

I don't know. I live in Portland, and there is no sales tax on ANYTHING here in Oregon. I believe certain states they do charge. You will have to check out their website for details. As far as B&H goes, I have bought $1000's of photo equipment from them in the past 10 years and they are SUPERB!

13. boshii thread starter macrumors 68040

boshii

Awesome! They don't charge tax so I guess I'll go with them since they seem to be the cheapest right now. Thanks for the link!

14. HBOC macrumors 68020

15. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Not sure! It's weird though. Because a week or so after I bought the sketchy eBay AppleCare I called Apple support to ask them about it. I explained I bought it online, had no box, only received a code, and asked if it was legit and if I had anything to worry about. The rep just kept saying I was fine, don't worry about a thing, that I was covered. Maybe that was just their script at the moment. But I knew they had to be onto what was going on. And they did end up catching up with it as we all thought they would eventually.

In hindsight, it really is very Apple-like to not admit a problem at all, but to just quietly come up with a solution and then quietly implement it.

Didn't know at the time it was sketchy. But my follow up research after I bought it pretty much convinced me that there's no way it was legit. haha.