Where are you buying old software?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by YodaPowerMac, Jul 22, 2014.

1. YodaPowerMac macrumors newbie

I have a G4 and G5 PowerMac and I want to get some software for these computers, but I want to make sure I am getting it at the best prices and I want to make sure I can still use it on my computers if it was previously opened and used.
    I am looking for video editing software and photo editing software.
    I have looked on Ebay but I am unsure if its still usable if someone else has opened it and installed it on other computers.

Thanks for any help or clearing up these questions for me.

2. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Just get it off the internet.

3. YodaPowerMac thread starter macrumors newbie

What website are you getting your programs from ?

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Amazon Marketplace and shopgoodwill.com.

5. agottschling macrumors newbie

agottschling

I sometimes find older versions on big download sites like 4shared. However I always buy a license if it isn't free software

6. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Macupdate, or i google for the software and look at websites that are legit. (not softonic or cnet)

7. jrsx, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014

jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

I usually get my software from eBay or Amazon (got iLife 08' for $6!!!), unless it is available on the PPC Archive or MacUpdate.

8. Intelligent, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014

Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Macupdate is not a piracy website For some applications It charges money, and when i said google for legit sites i mean find the developers sites. A lot of mac apps are freeware. Its a bit ironic how you said that MacUpdate is piracy when i said that you could download software from it, and then you state it yourself as a good downloading site.

"Macupdate, or i google for the software and look at websites that are legit." - Intelligent
    "We don't discuss piracy on these forums, Intelligent." - You
    "unless it is available on the PPC Archive or MacUpdate." - You

9. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

Forgive me, I completely misunderstood your post. :eek:
    I thought you said websites that are not legit, and I was like uhhhhh..
    :D stupid me

10. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Most of my software was given to me if I asked. "Hey, can I borrow your copy of iLife for *insert project*" "Heck, you can have it since Apple is free now" my copy of Office X and Photoshop 3 were given to me with my Mac Pro.

11. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I have been using OS X exclusively since the Tiger days, so I have had the software for years now.

Some developers will issue you serials for older versions if asked. *Some* of the new ones already work with the older versions even.

For G4s and G5s, you might have a go at Acorn for editing images:

http://flyingmeat.com/acorn/docs/faq.html

12. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

If you know how to do it, you can grab a bunch of old apps off of the system restore discs. It's just a matter of installing the pieces exactly where they're supposed to go.

Most of the older restore disc items will tell you exactly where something is supposed to go if you look at the folder path and copy it exactly. Then reboot (because it's a good idea to reboot) and it should work.

13. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

What apps were bundled with OS X that aren't standard?

14. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I pirate it all because I'm evil. And because it's easier.

15. repentix macrumors regular

I usually get my Software when buying hardware. For example I got leopard, eyetv 2, iworks 09, office x and office 2004 upgrade when I bought my G5 for 80€

16. bse5150 macrumors 6502

bse5150

I have some software that I bought as universal. Most of my software is either open source or shareware though. I have one or two titles that I grabbed from bit torrent. sosumi. :eek:

17. Dr0ster macrumors newbie

It's not that common that older software have this "register serial on internet and activate" thing that newer software can have. So it shouldn't be a problem buying older software from eBay. You can always check before buying.

Otherwise you can always check you-know-what-sites.

18. Antonius macrumors member

Just like everyone else I get mine from ebay or a google search and most of the time I get the software from the developer sites.
    This is where that Leopard Market place would come in handy, but I guess its dead on the way side.

19. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

The Application is, since Gavin has a G5 that acts like ****, but http://ppcarchive.dyniform.net is the current 'home' for Leopard Market, and http://c.keatonburleson.com for 68k stuff.

20. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

Apps like AppleWorks or iMovie for OS 9. AppleWorks tended to be bundled with the G3 iMacs and it's as simple as finding it on the restore and drag and drop installing it.

If I do a straight up 9 install I don't get iMovie for OS 9. That takes either finding an old iMovie disc or piecemeal installing it. I have it on a restore disc, so I do a piecemeal install.

21. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Thats pretty cool, I didn't know that.

22. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

No doubt; it's coming. Just has been a lot of work dealing with Xcode and making everything work the way I intend. But for the meantimeeeee check my sig, that is the "Leopard Market" online.