Where are you buying RAM nowadays?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Inkmonkey, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

Looking to max out my iMac G4 700Mhz and I've noticed lots of places on ebay carry it. But want to make sure I am not overlooking other avenues. Also not sure of the quality of the ebay RAM. Or if there are even differences in RAM quality anymore.

Looking forward to your advice!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. byocrysis macrumors regular

byocrysis

I buy my RAM from Other World Computing www.macsales.com. I have ordered from them 3 times and no problems whatsoever.

4. xilni macrumors member

xilni

5. Semiopaque macrumors regular

From my experience, Ebay is the best place to find your RAM if you know what you need. No iMac experience here, but I've had a lot of luck on my old G4s on Ebay and couldn't find anything better even near the prices there for most upgrades. Obviously look at the feedback and look at the actual description on what you are buying. I've also sold some RAM on there myself and always try to list exactly what I know it will work on, because I've tried it.

I've yet to have any major issues on anything I purchased or anything I sold - but I was very careful to look at what I needed and was buying and what how I described what I sold. Only problem I had recently was on a video card and I was able to fix that (poor application of thermal paste) and I probably could have gotten a refund if I really couldn't fix it myself as the seller was responsive and nice.

You could try OWC or Crucial as others have suggested or Newegg or many other sites, but, on older items, it's usually hard to find a better deal than Ebay as long as you know what you need and research the item and seller and have some patience for a good deal to come up.

6. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    ditto for me,including the new 4GB stick for my BMB to make it 6GB Total:eek:

7. bflowers macrumors 6502a

I use www.datamemorysystems.com
    Have for at least the past nine years, buying ram for myself and for family and friends. Always had really good quality and price with them.

Back with my Pismo, right when OS X beta came out, Apple did a firmware update that change the required specs for the ram. My 512mg stopped being accepted by the Pismo because some firmware spec on the ram was no longer acceptable. Datamem had me (and everyone else with the same issue) mail it in, they updated it, and mailed it back overnight at their cost. Worked great for the life of the machine.

8. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I still buy all my RAM from Crucial. You know that you're getting top quality RAM with a lifetime warranty. It's great.

9. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Crucial is definitely my fave. I've never been let down by these guys.

10. Jimmizilla macrumors newbie

Newegg.... By far the best place for anything computer-related.

I got 4GB of DDR2 GSkill for my pre-unibody MPB for $50 + $20 rebate... good deal if you ask me!

11. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani