Where are you guys heading to after 5,1 discontinuation?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by pat500000, Feb 1, 2017.

  1. pat500000, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017

    pat500000 Suspended


    Jun 3, 2015
    im curious at this point where you guys heading to/or what you planning to do once apple stop 5,1 support? Jump ship? Or live your remaining lives while holding on to 5,1?
  2. H2SO4 macrumors 601

    Nov 4, 2008
    This is something I’ve been wondering about myself and at this point I just don’t know. My livelihood doesn’t depend on it so I may go Hackintosh if one of those HPZ’s supports it.
  3. TheStork macrumors 6502


    Dec 28, 2008
    Although I still use my 5,1, I'm using my Gene hackintosh most of the time. But, like H2SO4, my livelihood doesn't depend upon the Mac.
  4. jeff7117 macrumors regular

    Jul 22, 2009
    My livelihood depends on the Mac and I've already jumped ship. I gave Apple 3 years to update the nMP to replace my 5,1. The transition to Windows 10 has been relatively painless.
  5. pat500000 thread starter Suspended


    Jun 3, 2015
    I'm glad. Don't let Apple stop you from doing what you need to do.
  6. shelt macrumors member


    Apr 12, 2007
    I gave up waiting and built an i7 6700K Hackintosh last week. My first build in over 15 years and it wasn't very difficult. It's rock solid so far (on 10.12.3), and I'm glad I finally got the courage to do it. People like TheStork make it all possible with their very helpful guides and advice. I figured I would move to Win 10 if I couldn't get the hardware stable. I use it for heavy photography work (amateur) and a lot of intense volunteer work. It is dramatically faster than my previous retina iMac, and faster than most/all Mac Pro configs for what I do.

    I have an old rMBP available if things go south, but so far I'm very happy with the move!
  7. tomvos macrumors 6502


    Jul 7, 2005
    In the Nexus.
    This depends what kind of support we are talking about. At some point the Mac Pro 5,1 will become vintage. If the Mac Pro 5,1 fails after this date, you simply can not expect to get every replacement part in reasonable time.

    Personally, I just accept this risk and if bad luck strikes I hope the backups work and are current. I would simply switch to another Mac.

    But there is also the question of software and security. Since my Mac Pro is my daily driver, I prefer a machine that can run a version of macOS that is supplied with security patches. So basically when a future version of macOS no longer runs on the Mac Pro 5,1 ... this is a one years notice to think about a new Mac.

    So I hope a little bit on luck with the hardware and that the software part will not happen to soon. But when the day comes, I would most likely have a close look at the iMac or Mac mini.
  8. Synchro3 macrumors 68000


    Jan 12, 2014
  9. ugru macrumors 6502


    Sep 8, 2002
    Caput Mundi
    I'll keep my upgraded 2010 MacPro:
    - 4 cores --> 6 cores;
    - Flashed PC HD7950 (thinking of getting an RX480);
    - 12GB of non-ECC RAM;
    - BD player;
    - HDD+SSD DIY fusion drive.

    When it dies, going the HACKINTOSH way unless Apple reverses route and decides to make an upgradable MacPro.
  10. killr_b macrumors 6502a


    Oct 21, 2005
    I got an Alienware during Dell's sale over the holidays. Great price! It's fast, Windows 10 still sucks, etc. I basically just do web development on it. Playing new games on ultra is an added bonus.

    i7, not the latest 7th gen (never use more than 25% cpu basically anyway)
    16GB DDR4 2400Mhz
    512GB Samsung M.2 ssd
    GTX 1080 8GB

    Windows 10 is still Windows, but it hasn't ruined my day yet lol so we'll see.
  11. CapnDavey, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017

    CapnDavey macrumors 6502


    Apr 11, 2015
    Ill run my mac's until they drop I have no reason or need to go back to the Micro$oft crap I ditched 17 years ago
  12. ssgbryan macrumors 6502a


    Jul 18, 2002
    HP 840 series/Win10. When I make this move, I'll also be ditching the iphone & my iPad when it dies.

    I'm not worried about windows - I do my work in applications, not the OS. Not to mention that Win10 seems to be as stable as macOS.
  13. ZombiePhysicist macrumors 6502a


    May 22, 2014
    So I think this brings up an interesting decision point. If at some point apple stops letting new macOS to run on the 5,1 (likely artificially as the hardware is likely way more powerful than say what runs on the latest 12" mac book for another 5+ years), and you have to do a 'hack' to get macOS on your 5,1, at that point, it's probably not more bother to just also do a hackintosh.

    In both cases you're not going to be able to easily do updates.

    I'm still living in denial that 2017 is the year we get a new Mac Pro. Somewhere between mid year and end of year based on the intel road map. Once that doesn't pan out I'll have to figure out what I want to do. Windows makes me want to gouge my eyes out, but I may have no choice. I'v also been investigating a branch of linux that is very mac like:


    Maybe even GNUSTEP:
  14. kennyisalive macrumors regular

    Feb 29, 2016
    Ditching OS X for Windows 10.

    Tired of waiting for these *******s.

    They have more than $200b in cash reserves yet they still think it's not worth it to spend a single dime on it to try to upgrade their piece of **** trash can.
  15. JimGoshorn macrumors 6502


    Mar 8, 2009
    I read that Apple is pushing iOS developers to convert over to 64bit versions of their apps. When that happens, my iPad 3 will become antiquated. The last update to OneNote for the iPad had a problem with older 32bit iOS devices which Microsoft corrected in a couple of days but it did indicate that the older devices are going to have issues probably sooner than later.
  16. kschendel macrumors 65816

    Dec 9, 2014
    OS X is not critical for me - Linux is. The OS X side is a nice to have. I'll probably run my upgraded cMP until Intel (or AMD) comes out with something enough faster than Westmere to make it worth it, and then if Apple doesn't make an interesting box around it, I'll probably build a "silent PC" which would ideally be OS X capable, but wouldn't have to be.
  17. pat500000 thread starter Suspended


    Jun 3, 2015
    I hear you. Nothing is gonna last forever. Eventually we all have to make a move.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 1, 2017 ---
    Shoot....is that right? That really sucks.
  18. AidenShaw macrumors P6


    Feb 8, 2003
    The Peninsula
    That's the plan[ned obsolescence].
  19. kartcrg macrumors member


    Dec 7, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I'll have a mental breakdown because I hate windows and then I'll convert my business to whatever the current HP Z is at the time. I'm nearing that point actually..

    Unless of course they give us a nMP with dual processors.
  20. JimGoshorn macrumors 6502


    Mar 8, 2009
  21. pat500000 thread starter Suspended


    Jun 3, 2015
  22. Slash-2CPU macrumors regular

    Dec 14, 2016
    New Orleans, USA
    Hackintosh when 4,1 flashed to 5,1 can't get security updates anymore or can no longer do what I need.

    Considering that's a nearly 10-year lifespan, wow.
  23. ssgbryan macrumors 6502a


    Jul 18, 2002
    I'm sure they are - they only want to support 1 code base. The problem is that Kindle doesn't need to be 64-bit. That is all I use my iPad for, and the iPhone is for texting family.

    I am figuring out how much it will cost me to jump platforms - so far, I'll only need to replace 1 application (Zbrush), but I'd have to buy that when version 5 comes out, regardless of platform.
  24. gpzjock macrumors 6502a

    May 4, 2009
    Still running a MP 3,1 till it dies, with an i5 Hackintosh running El Capitan and an i7 Hackintosh that is currently transferring from Mountain Lion to Sierra if I can get the drivers stable for my GTX 770. Windows? Nah, just nah.
  25. raymanster macrumors 6502


    Feb 13, 2008
    Ha ha those of you worried about your 5,1 out of date soon, in this post this guy describes how he is still using PowerPC's in his daily work!


    For me I'm not worried, I will keep using my 4,1 -> 5,1 till it dies. Hell I still have a 2006 Mac Mini (first gen Intel) running 24/7 as my proxy and VPN server.

Share This Page

135 February 1, 2017