Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Koree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2004
Philadelphia
Hey!

I just wanted everyone to say when they think the Powerbook G5 will be released, and give me a pieace of advice, get the 15" 1.5 gig powerbook in August, or wait!?!?

Koree

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
They probably won't be here untill the first half of 2005. I would say buy now because the rev A models are known for being buggy and crappy. Unless you want to wait a year or 2 for the rev B or C models. I would say buy a 1.5 now.

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I say buy now. I too thought that way, but slowly reality set in and plus I got tired of waiting. I can say that I am proud I bought my laptop last week.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
Definitely buy now, if you need a new computer. The current models were released less than 3 months ago, so we won't see new PBs (G4, not G5) until at least October/November.

daxdagr8t

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2004
ya i was thinking the same.the first g5s will bound to have problems and i would prefer to wait for the revb or revc to come out b4 i buy one.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Re: Sick of these threads...

>Koree

I read your post, and it did change my mind. ;)

I am now even more "sick" of these threads.
attachment.php

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
If you wait, you can get Tiger pre-installed along with iLife '05. I wouldn't wait just for the G5. Tiger probably isn't a good enough reason to wait. I think the Powerbook G4 is a great product. I felt one in the store and it didn't feel warm at all. I am so tempted to buy one even if the Powerbook G5 comes out, I don't want the first revision because it will be too hot.

Powerbooks are also the fastest Macs today that can run Virtual PC 6. The fastest G4 Macs on the planet.

lha72

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Hawaii
Don't expect G5 powerbooks any time soon. Apple still has far too many G4 CPUs and G4 motherboards in the warehouses that they have to dump on the masses. There really is no valid technical reason why the G5 couldn't be in a powerbook now, other than the Osborne factor.

Remember the Osborne computer? Great little machine which was released in 1981. It was an instant success, selling over 10,000 units a month - in 1981. By September 1981, it was doing $1Million in sales a month. The company was successfull beyond anyone's wildest hopes.

In 1982, while the company still had a warehouse full of Osborne-I computers, and many more warehouses full of parts, they announced a planned successor for the next year - The Osborne-II with greatly improved capabilities. Sales of the Osborne-I virtually ceased, and by 1983 the company was bankrupt.

So, as long as Apple has many many G4 parts to get rid of, don't expect a G5 powerbook. AND as long as the masses keep chanting the mantra - "G5 in a powerbook can't be done, too hot, too large, too much power demand" Apple will happily peddle yesterday's technology at tomorrow's prices.

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
Apple usually loves to screw college students out of money, dumping their PowerBook inventory on them at full price since they need them in August and then shorlty after that they release new laptops. Still, this doesn't seem to be the case this year. I'm betting on a PowerBook G5 anywhere in the first half of 2005.

netytan

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2004
Think you're all dreaming ;). After reading a lot of PBG5 threads i really dont exect it any time soon. maybe 2005 to early 2006.

Mark.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Megaquad said:
I'd expect G5 PowerBooks announced at MWSF, available in april...
The way things looks, the odd OS leaks from Apple. :eek:

The big news at MWSF will probably be the Power5-UL based PowerMacs.

Since Tiger looks like it's being set up to take advantage of physical/logical processors (which is part of IBM's SMT) -- and that stinks highly of a Power5-derived processor. ;)

The PowerMac 8,1 in the latest OS update stinks of a new chipset for a consumer machine (aka, G5 iMac replacement.)

But basically, nothing yet on the PowerBook G5s. :(

djfern

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2004
Ottawa
um, wait?

OK, i agree in part with most people - if you really need it, just go get it. BUT your email reminded me that back in 2000, I was WAITING and I mean WAITING for the bloody G4 laptop to come out. I couldn't find any reliable rumours about it and i really, really needed a notebook. So I bought a G3 pismo and was very happy with it – until i wen to Macworld SanFransisco that year and saw the new titanium powerbook g4. Man I was pissed. I bought my laptop in October. In January, the g4 came out.

SOOOO. Word of caution - if it's reasonable to think it's around the corner, you might want to save yourself some grief and wait.

(as an aside, this also happened to me with my powermac - bought the blue and white g3 and ended up missing the G4 by about two months. In spite, i swore never to buy a g4. So I have a G5 desktop now and when a G5 notebook comes along, I'll upgrade the pismo... heh)

djfern.

djfern

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2004
Ottawa
lha72 said:
Don't expect G5 powerbooks any time soon. Apple still has far too many G4 CPUs and G4 motherboards in the warehouses that they have to dump on the masses.

Odd, cause apple can't build enough imac G4s to meet demand.

I'd put my money on a MWSF2005 release for a g5 powerbook.

netytan

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2004
Buy now, noone has any reason to expect them anytime in the near future! So, while the others are waiting for something that may not come for the next two years, (depending on technical problems, which i neather know or care anything about) you can be enjoying your brand new PowerBook.

And, when they do finally arive you will still be able to get a great price for your PowerBook. So sell up then and grab an even newer PowerBook! Be they G4 or G5.

Waiting is stupid, its what people who are too scared to take a risk do! Only, the longer you wait, the greater the risk! So these people often end up waiting indefinatly, living with a desire that is comparable with that described by Anne Rices Vampire Lestat.

Make the right desision, and enjoy!

Mark.

Koree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2004
Philadelphia
Thanks!

Yeah,

I'm just gonna buy it! in August... ^^;; yeah, but it seems like it will still be worth getting then too. And i don't want to deal with a rev A, Thanks guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.