Where can I buy a blackboard to attach to a cycle?

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2002
UK
Strange question, I know, but there are a couple of bikes left locked-up around Winchester where I live, and each of them has a blackboard attached to it, advertising upcoming events at a local bar.

As I'm looking to start booking gigs at a couple of local venues, it seems to be a good idea to buy a cheap bike (which I can also use as for cycling from time to time) and effectively join in with this moveable form of advertising which can't get you into trouble for postering in the wrong places.

Has anyone else seen anything like this before, and do you have any idea where I'd get the special blackboard from? It attaches to the back of the bike, but upon investigation looked as though it was attached, not an original fixture of the bike.

Cheers in advance for any help
Dune

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
I don't know about any premade solutions, but there does exist a paint that you can apply to a surface (such as 6mm hardboard) to turn it into a chalkboard...

L

Lau

Thinking about it, I'd probably do it by getting one of these type racks:

and painting two bits of plywood with blackboard paint (you could do your band's logo and any other permanent information over the top with normal paint so it was clear and colourful) and then attach them to the rack with metal brackets (perhaps with a bit of 1" x 1" wood as a spacer between between them to strengthen the tops of the two boards), then attach the contraption to the bike. It would be fairly easily removable afterwards, and you could always sell/give away the rack to someone who needed it afterwards.

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2002
UK
Thanks for your replies. On closer inspection it appears that the blackboard/clamp is a home-made arrangement, so I think I might speak to the bar owners to find out who they got to make theirs. It's a great idea - I'm surprised noone manufactures them!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.