Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

May 8, 2008
If you, or someone you know, is currently enrolled in University, the school bookstore might offer discounted licenses/ copies.

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 2nd gen: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Newegg? You can find "OEM" copies. But I don't know if their price is what you consider "cheap".

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
An eBay search for "Windows XP" in the software category returned 583 results. They can't all be expensive and fake.

But +1 on the OEM version if you can find it. It's what I had on my Parallels VM.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Only problem is that OEM is not licensed for end users, the System Builder License requires you to resell the computer with the OEM software installed to an unrelated third party. So that seems to violate the letter of "legitimate".

Face it, XP is a product that has reached end of life. It has been pulled from the shelves and the only way to get a new "legitimate" license of XP is the one that comes with a full retail license of Windows 7 (XP mode).

If you've got it, great use it. If you don't, move on to W7.

B

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Only problem is this computer can't handle Win 7, plus XP is superior.

I guess this computer is dead, because I can't get a XP version that can be upgraded.

Synchromesh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
SF
Only problem is this computer can't handle Win 7, plus XP is superior.

Just curious, how so? I've used both and found W7 to be vastly better in almost everything. Care to explain?

I guess this computer is dead, because I can't get a XP version that can be upgraded.

You can buy used XP on Craigslist. I'm sure there plenty of different licenses on eBay as well.

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
I have a retail copy of Windows XP Home that I don't have installed on any of my machines now, I don't think I've used it for the past two years. I've got the install disc and the license as well as the original box. If you are interested then PM me.

ziulmota

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2011
why do you want Windows XP? did you know that windows XP is almost not supported anymore? I suggest to buy Windows 7 which is the best operating system with many features and support but if you still want windows xp search on the craigslist or ebay

Creebe

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2010
My university gives out legitimate Windows XP copies for free. So I suggest you find someone who's in a university student/staff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.