Where can I buy a new legitimate copy of Win XP for cheap?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Frisco, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Frisco macrumors 68020

2. 184550 Guest

If you, or someone you know, is currently enrolled in University, the school bookstore might offer discounted licenses/ copies.

3. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 2nd gen: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Newegg? You can find "OEM" copies. But I don't know if their price is what you consider "cheap".

4. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

An eBay search for "Windows XP" in the software category returned 583 results. They can't all be expensive and fake.

But +1 on the OEM version if you can find it. It's what I had on my Parallels VM.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Only problem is that OEM is not licensed for end users, the System Builder License requires you to resell the computer with the OEM software installed to an unrelated third party. So that seems to violate the letter of "legitimate".

Face it, XP is a product that has reached end of life. It has been pulled from the shelves and the only way to get a new "legitimate" license of XP is the one that comes with a full retail license of Windows 7 (XP mode).

If you've got it, great use it. If you don't, move on to W7.

B

6. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

Only problem is this computer can't handle Win 7, plus XP is superior.

I guess this computer is dead, because I can't get a XP version that can be upgraded.

7. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

Just curious, how so? I've used both and found W7 to be vastly better in almost everything. Care to explain?

You can buy used XP on Craigslist. I'm sure there plenty of different licenses on eBay as well.

8. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I have a retail copy of Windows XP Home that I don't have installed on any of my machines now, I don't think I've used it for the past two years. I've got the install disc and the license as well as the original box. If you are interested then PM me.

9. ziulmota macrumors newbie

why do you want Windows XP? did you know that windows XP is almost not supported anymore? I suggest to buy Windows 7 which is the best operating system with many features and support but if you still want windows xp search on the craigslist or ebay

10. Creebe macrumors newbie

My university gives out legitimate Windows XP copies for free. So I suggest you find someone who's in a university student/staff.