WHERE can I buy a Toshiba SSD???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ThomasJL, Feb 5, 2009.

1. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

In March 2008, there were many articles saying that Toshiba is about to ship it's first SSD, which was a 128GB one. I would do a Google search a few times EVERY MONTH for the rest of the year, and still I've found NO ONLINE VENDOR that sells it!

In December, Toshiba announced that it will be releasing a 512GB SSD that will go into production in Q2 of this year.

How the hell does Toshiba even make any money from their SSDs, when it is so damn hard to find a place to buy it from? I have visited the official Toshiba SSD website, and there is no link to vendors which stock them!

For reasons that go beyond the scope of this post, I am only interested in the Toshiba brand SSDs, so please don't point me to vendors that carry other brands but not Toshiba.

I really need to get the Toshiba 512GB when it gets released this year, because my university will give me a small window of opportunity ONLY during the summer of 2009 to make as expensive of a laptop purchase as I want. I am a poor student, so this is a golden opportunity for me. But I fear that when the Toshiba 512GB SSD goes into production, that it will be impossible to find online. :mad:

Am I missing something here? WHERE can I find Toshiba SSDs for sale???

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Toshiba doesn't really sell to the street vendors, they're usually only sold to OEM's and other system manufactures like Sony, Apple and various others.

3. ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are you sure about this? If this is the case, why does Toshiba advertise and make announcements about their SSDs to the general public?

Why do so many Web sites (which cater to the general public) write articles in praise of these SSDs, and tell customers when they will be mass produced?

Furthermore, if what you say is true (about Toshiba only selling to system manufacturers), what kind of an IDIOTIC business strategy is that??? Has anyone even once seen Apple or Sony advertise or even mention the brand of HDD or SSD in their computers?

4. CTechKid macrumors regular

On the flip side, why are you so adamantly chasing a product that by your own accord, no one knows about or has published specs for? There are a plethora of players in the SSD market, so why do you absolutely have to have 'Toshiba' written on yours?

5. ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because during summer 2009, which is my only window of opportunity where my university will purchase my desired laptop and desired components (up to $3000), the only 512 GB SSD that will exist at that time will be the one made by Toshiba.

6. bugout macrumors 6502a

You're insane if you think the toshiba 512GB SSD will be less then $1200-1500 as an OEM option.. You'll never find it at retail because they don't sell at retail.

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Well.. Put it this way. Have you seen any of Toshiba's Data Storage devices on the market? Think about it.. Also, there are other lesser know, often independent OEM manufactures out there, apart from the big global companies. Advertising those products to the general public make people like you go out search for a product that's using them.

Besides, if you really want high performance SSD. You'll be thinking about buying one of the Intel Extreme SLC (not MLC). Sure they're small.. but they're blazingly fast! Fastest in the market, at present. And Intel knows it. 64Gb version comes in at a eye-popping £550+tax (trade):eek::eek::eek:

Looking online, 256Gb 2.5" SSD based on SLC (Single-Level Cell) cames in at a shattering 799,980円 or $8,746.92 USD.
    You sure, you STILL want a 512Gb Version?

8. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

What he said. Plus, by the end of the year there will be way more of them at a better price.