Where can I buy cheap ram in NYC?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by betsbillabong, Jun 4, 2009.

1. betsbillabong macrumors regular

Hi all,

I'm working on a project and one of my RAM chips has failed. I used to have 1.25GB of RAM (reported on every startup) and now it reports 768 MB. It's hard to run Logic and FCP on 768 MB of RAM. I'm well aware of Apple's colossal markup on memory - does anyone know of anywhere that I could pick up the RAM? It's easy to install. (This is for a G4 powerbook, and I've just realized that may make it more unlikely that I'll find it). Maybe Tekserve?

I have tried reseating the RAM - it worked, but only for a day or so. Bummer. I'm not sure which stick of RAM is bad - if anyone knows how to figure it out, I'd be grateful. I can't remember how much the base RAM was, and how much I upgraded it. "About This Mac" reports that both slots are ok, and that the lower slot is 512MB and the upper 256MB. If anyone knows how to figure it out, that would be great. I am of course hoping it's the upper slot and that I can simply buy some new RAM and slap it in there.

This is a 15" G4 Powerbook 1.5 (the one that came in the same series as the 1.33)

Thanks!
    BB

2. BORIStheBLADE macrumors regular

BORIStheBLADE

I don't know how you feel about ordering online, but what about newegg?

3. betsbillabong thread starter macrumors regular

I need it tomorrow

Thanks. The problem is that my deadline is tomorrow. I need to buy it in the morning, and be going on it within a few hours. Even if I fed-ex'd it, I couldn't get it online fast enough.

I'd order it from Newegg or OWC if I had time. But I need to buy it retail. Just wondering if there's a place that won't completely gouge me...

BB

4. the vj macrumors 6502a

Well, you are screw.

Use some one elses computer? if you do not want to spend in ram you have no options.

5. betsbillabong thread starter macrumors regular

well...

I realize I won't get it as cheap as Newegg locally. However, I thought there might be somewhere other than Apple that would just sell me a stick of RAM and not charge me hundreds of dollars for it.

Please only answer if you live in NYC and know if this might be possible - or even if it's not.

Thanks,
    BB

6. bkarabel macrumors member

7. betsbillabong thread starter macrumors regular

thanks bkarabel! tekserve doesn't have prices on their website but i will check out microcenter.

8. durruti macrumors regular

durruti

B&h

B&H Photo at 34th or 33rd street?....dunno if they have that generation of RAM though.

9. betsbillabong thread starter macrumors regular

B&H it is!

Bingo! Thanks for the suggestion. A 1Gb stick was $99 at Tekserve and $56 at B&H. Perfect - I'm headed there now.