Where can I buy long ethernet cable (uk)?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Chic0, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Chic0 macrumors 6502

I have just purchased a NAS. My original plan was to set it up and hide it behind AV equipment. I have a surround sound setup with sub woofer, so have now changed my mind as I don't want the vibration from the sub, potentially damaging the drives (The walls in my apartment are really thick, so I tend to play my music loud :) )

Anyway, I would like to hide the NAS away in the mezzanine, but I need a long ethernet cable so i can connect it to my router. I need a cable about 30-40metres long. Anyone know any online stores where I can buy something like this?

Also are some types of ethernet better than others?

Will I experience any loss in reading/writing of data as the cable will be so long?

thanks

2. jamesyd1991 macrumors member

3. etchtech09 macrumors member

I am not sure where you will want to buy the cable, but I figured I could answer other parts of your post.

I personally, for cost sake, would go with Cat 5E; you could get Cat 6 but it costs more. Either way you could get a gigabit connection, depending on your other devices.

As for length, typically with anything < 90 meters you should be good. There can be other things that would cause interference, but I would imagine in an apartment you won't have anything to worry about.

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

You should buy at least a CAT5e cable, CAT6 would be better. Both support gigabit ethernet, the latter, however, is better shielded which is definitely desirable for long distances (like yours) with a lot of interfering signals like power lines.

That is a CAT5 cable, hence supports only 100Mbit/s.

5. jamesyd1991 macrumors member

My bad lol, don't understand all this CAT stuff, reading into it now..

6. Chic0 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Thanks for the responses guys. That CAT info was really helpful too. I dont think i'll have that much interference though, but if I can get a CAT6 for not too much more, then i will.

Just for the record I will be connecting the NAS to my AEBS. I use 802.11n on 5ghz

Cheers for the Play.com linkage James. Yeah that a bit big :)
    Had a look on amazon and there is a good selection of cables 30-40m in length!

Cheers

7. Ap0ks, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010

Ap0ks macrumors 6502

Most local computer shops (possibly some electrician trade counters) will be able to make you a cable to length and crimp the connectors on each end, or sell you the cable length and let you DIY. Cat5e/6 is generally 70p/£1.30 a metre with the RJ45 connectors costing around 25p each (you will need a crimping tool though).

Other than that you'd have to buy a pre-fabbed length from somewhere like Maplin's/PCWorld or similar online stores. From the bigger stores you should be able to get a 40M Cat5 cable for less than £40. Just remembered Ebuyer.com have a decent selection too.

Hope that helps :)

8. Chic0 thread starter macrumors 6502