Where Can I Buy Replacement DVD Superdrive For Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by opeepingtomo, Jun 28, 2009.

1. opeepingtomo macrumors regular

I have a white Core 2 Duo, Santa Rosa Macbook. It is no longer under warranty, and the closes Apple store to me is at least an hour away.

I called them the other day and they wouldn't tell me how much it would cost, even without labor, for a replacement drive from them, and that i would have to drive all the way there to get them to look and tell me, and then make an appointment at that point.

I do not have time to be doing all of that, and definitely do not want to pay a ridiculous amount for a dvd drive, and also pay someone to install something that i can do myself.

Does anyone know where i can get a replacement slot loading dvd burner that will fit/work in my macbook?

Thanks!

PS. i preferably do not want the same drive that came with it, because i see all over the internet people flashing their firmware and always having issues with it that a drive cleaner will not fix.

Thanks!

2. opeepingtomo thread starter macrumors regular

Is there any other manufacturer that makes a drive compatible with the macbook? I have the UJ-857 drive already, and i read everywhere about people having issues with it. And although the money isn't a big deal, the price for it is a little steep when considering buying from ebay, and the other site wants 149 dollars for it.

I know its not a slot loader, and wont fit the macbook, but just for arguments sake, this drive is only 49.99 at newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118006

Just wondering before i jump the gun on anything.

3. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Try the UJ-867-C, it is supposed to be better built than the 857. It costs an extra ten bucks.

I have looked, and cannot find anything that will fit perfectly. These drives are very fussy about having anything on top of them, and the uj-857-c barely has any clearance as is.

4. opeepingtomo thread starter macrumors regular

Ans where would i be able to find a UJ-867-C?

5. opeepingtomo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks smart@$$, i had already googled it, but wasn't sure i found the right thing being that it was a panasonic brand, but that the model number is so similar to the one that i currently have.

So is anyone here 100% sure that this will fit my White Santa Rosa Core 2 Duo Macbook, since it is the one that they use in the Macbook Pro?

6. drobati macrumors newbie

I would also like to know. I have a Macbook 1,1. I have been looking for confirmation that a UJ-857-C can be installed into it.

If this is the case I can snag one for 75 off ebay. :)

Sorry different drive, hoping it still works though.

7. eman macrumors 6502a

Yes, it will work.

8. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

iFixit has alway sold me good parts. I'd try them if you're looking for a good replacement.

9. opeepingtomo thread starter macrumors regular

hopefully they sell good parts, because they want freaking 199.99 for the dvd burner. i refuse to pay that price for a freaking dvd burner.

10. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Then don't! I linked you to a better part for less money.