where can I buy reputable/reliable accidental damage coverage for iPad2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PotatoPie, May 14, 2011.

1. PotatoPie macrumors newbie

I currently have iPad2-64GB-3G on order with three companies. (Apple, B&H, J&R) Not sure which one will ship first.

Apple itself doesn't sell any accidental damager coverage... so if they're the first one to ship, where can I buy such coverage? Are there any reputable/reliable third party insurers?

B&H has a plan for around $240(?) but I don't know anything about the company that provides the coverage.

To be honest, I've always been happy with BestBuy's own ADH plans. They have, on two ocassions over the last few years, reimbursed me fully for two laptops that I damaged.... claim was fast and easy... However, it appears that I won't be able to buy the iPad2 from Bestbuy anytime soon.

The iPad that I'm getting is $829, so I'm willing to spend up to $250 for 2/3-year accidental coverage.

Any advice appreciated! :)

2. twoforone macrumors newbie

3. Built macrumors 68020

4. ani23 macrumors 6502

Forget square trade. Get worth ave group. They cover theft too.

5. Built macrumors 68020

Plenty of "gotchas" with Worth Avenue Group...

I've been comparison shopping for this too, and there are two major differences between Square Trade and Worth Ave Group's coverage. Square Trade covers mechanical and electrical problems with the hardware while Worth Ave does not. Worth Ave covers theft while Square Trade doesn't. I guess it comes down to which coverage is more important to each individual.

Worth Ave does NOT offer coverage for a lost phone. It only offers theft coverage, and only under certain conditions. You cannot just say "I lost my Pad" and expect them to replace it.

They don't list a specific FAQ for iPads but the iPhone explains how WAG works...

More expensive and not worth it...If somebody breaks into my car, and takes my iPad. my auto insurance will take care or it.

http://www.worthavegroup.com/iphone-policy-faq#q8

8. If someone steals my iPhone, will the policy cover that loss?

Yes, this policy provides coverage for theft, unless stolen from a vehicle that was not locked. There must be visible signs of forced entry into the vehicle to have the stolen iPhone covered.

9. If I lose my iPhone, will the policy cover that loss?

No, iPhones that have been misplaced, lost, or left behind are not covered. iPhones stolen by theft, burglary, or robbery are covered. A police report must be filed for these types of losses.

---Pass.

6. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Most home owners insurance will have a computer/ personal electronic clause for their policies. Mine is $5 per month and covers everything electronic in my home.

7. Cantisama macrumors member

+1 Squaretrade
    link: http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/ipad-landing

The price for their coverage is the same if you have the cheapest iPad or the most expensive model. When I got it for my iPad 1 it was $127 after tax for three years w/ accidental damage. They offer a x% off coupon pretty regularly (I think I used 30% when I got mine). Current price is $133, so with tax you're looking at around $142. If I remember right you have 30 days from device purchase to get a squaretrade warranty, so if there isn't a coupon available now try to wait it out.

8. Built, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011

Built macrumors 68020

The "SPRING" discount code is still available...I used it last night for my iPad 2. It gave me 20 bucks off on a 2 year plan with ADH.

Edited to add...Just called in and changed my plan to 3 year with ADH. Total with discount $106.39. :)

BTW, one of my coworkers was excitedly telling me about her new iPhone, and then asked me if I purchase the "insurance." I told her that I do have insurance on my iPhone 4 (2 year with ADH through Square Trade). She told me she was paying $11.99 a month! I think it might have been either through Best Buy or ATT. I turned her on to Square Trade and she is now very happy. What a rip...$11.99 a month!!!! I cannot believe people pay that. In 2 years, she would have paid out $288! I paid $99 with Square Trade for 2 years with ADH, and I am dealing with a company that has a proven track record...one that will not jack me around if I make a claim.

Square Trade rocks!

9. PotatoPie thread starter macrumors newbie

My iPad probably won't ship for at least another 2+ weeks.

Is it possible to use the "SPRING" discount code to purchase the warranty before I even receive the iPad? (and have the warranty start date updated to the date I actually receive the iPad?) :D

10. Built macrumors 68020

Call them. They are open 24 hours. It never hurts to ask. :D

11. ninerfan macrumors regular

Just purchased the 3 year plan from Squaretrade. Discount worked and entire transaction was easy. Hope I never have to use the coverage but knowing I have it will be a relief.

12. PotatoPie thread starter macrumors newbie

I did just that... the rep (in India call center???) took my info. He said he couldn't actually let me order the warranty until I actully have my iPad2 in hand. However, he assured me that if the discount code won't work next month, just call back and they'll honor it. Talk about excellent customer service! (and I'm not even really their customer yet! :D )