Where can I buy screws for Unibody MacBook case?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sallythemac, Mar 14, 2009.

1. sallythemac Guest

I upgraded my ram to 4GB the other day. I must say i don't think the process was as painless as many people say. The four screws that you need to take out (the ones that are initially covered by the battery cover) aren't very good quality, and took a lot of getting out. Luckily i haven't damaged the casing or anything, but a couple of the screws are almost rounded off.

I asked at an Apple store if a) they would give me two screws or b) where I could buy some from. The answer was "No" to both.

Does anybody know what type of screws they are i.e. a size or PLU and/or where I could buy some from?

Cheers

James

Attached Files:

2. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

you would have thought that they would have at least offered to put the 2 missing screws in for you. The second time i took my MBP back for repairs 1 of my screws had fallen out and gone missing due to them not tightening the screws efficiently after last repair. they replaced it without any fuss at all.

As for the actual screws, I don't know, but i would probably try them again, its obvious that you've replaced the ram and not anything else dogdy enough to void the warranty so they should do it.

3. sallythemac thread starter Guest

Cheers for that. £45 is a lot when i only need two of them. I will keep looking, but thanks.

Yeh i know, i thought it was a bit harsh. I even said i was contemplating buying the AppleCare that day (hopefully to sweeten him up) but instead he just tried to lecture me how "changing the RAM has invalidated the warranty". I sent him off to double check that with the Geniuses, and he came back with his tail in between his legs... But with no screws :(

4. Jpoon macrumors 6502

yeah >_<!! I'd hunt on E-bay to see if you can't find any of that.

That's the only place I knew off the top of my head though. hehe

5. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

seriously, of all the people, you'd think that apple 'geniuses' would know what parts you can replace without invalidating the warranty. There's a picture guide in all of the instruction manuals for each machine showing you how to replace RAM and in some cases the hard drive! I remember asking about changing the harddrive in my MBP in the apple store once, half said i could and the other half said i couldn't! Seriously apple, sort it out

6. sallythemac thread starter Guest

This was what i said, the guy said it was there for "information" and not to be carried out! I said "Well, why is the HDD accessible when you go to change the battery, if your not meant to change it?". He didn't really have a comeback.

7. Jpoon macrumors 6502

The geniuses aren't really there for anything more than telling the basics about using iLife and what not.

Beyond that they're just poorly trained clerks. I would know because I'm a poorly trained college clerk at another chain that really hates his job because I'm not allowed to give any good advice because I'm "not supposed to." And it doesn't help me sell cellphones. Good part time jobs are hard to come by.

8. barryst macrumors regular

probably should have sprung for the $2 #00 screwdriver.

9. sallythemac thread starter Guest

Why would I buy a screwdriver I already owned? And why would I pay with dollars in the UK?

10. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Well if it was a #00 you wouldn't have damaged the screws. I've taken the case off a couple of times and my screws are fine.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So go buy a £2 screw driver. I've removed my cover a dozen times; screws still look like new.

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Guys, if you can't help the OP with their request instead of offering pointless and gloating comments, please keep your unhelpful comments to yourself. Thanks.

13. Jim82 macrumors member

apple retail

Just make another appt at the apple store. Make it with the genius bar, and they will give you the two screws. The employee you talked to obviously did not know what he was talking about, as he did not know the RAM was user replaceable. I use to work for the company at the bar, and we would have no beef with giving two screws away. If that does not for some crazy reason, ask to talk to the mgr.

14. jtibbitt macrumors regular

jtibbitt

Do you still have the screws? If so, then you should be able to fix them. Just cut a flat line across the entire head of the screw making a flathead screw. This can be done with the right drill bit or with a small enough file. They won't be good as new, but they will work well enough to use again and again.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well what you need a 3.5mm Philips head, so if you can find that, then it should work.

16. sallythemac thread starter Guest

£2!? Bit expensive for a Philips screwdriver.

I have said numerous times that I have a #00 Philips screwdriver. And if it was the screwdriver, there surely i would have damaged all eight screws, when only two were damaged.

Yeh, it's just my closest Apple shop it way-away. Maybe next time i'm close.

Yeh true this should be ok - as long as get them out again ok. Thanks for your suggestion.

That's the screw depth, right?

If i can get the screw out again i will a) take it to some shops and see if they do the screw and if not i will resort to b) hacksawing them across and making them flatheads like jtibbitt suggested.