Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Terzin1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
alrighty. Im new to mac, but have come here on a few occasions to try and trouble shoot some problems in the past. I bought my powerbook on Ebay and it didnt come with anything other than the os x 10.4 "tiger" install disk. I am in need of this "classic" environment to run a few programs from my mac. Where can I get it at? It came loaded on my computer when I got it, but I recentlly re-installed the os and now it is non existant!

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
You cannot legally download it anywhere.

You can purchase new system disks / replacement disks on e-bay or from a number of other online sources that include "Classic".

What you are after is the second install disk that has "Classic" on it.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
... I bought my powerbook on Ebay and it didnt come with anything other than the os x 10.4 "tiger" install disk. ...
Is this a retail Tiger disk or a System Restore disk with Tiger? If it is a retail disk, then it is black and silver. If it is a System Restore disk, then it is gray. It also has Classic as an optional installation.

Terzin1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
well, the computer came with a burnt copy of os x (shady I know.) but my mother has a mac too and I am currently holding her copy (both disk 1 and 2). I put in disk 2 but dont know how to install or find "classic" on it. Am I going to have to reinstall the os in order to get it?

neonblue2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2006
Port Pirie, South Australia
Looks like you've been had. Whoever sold you the computer burnt a copy of the retail disc and not the PowerBook discs that have Classic on them. Sucks to be them though. You can't use a PowerBook disc on anything else except the same model of PowerBook, so they have probably gained nothing.

The only legal way to get OS9 is to buy it from somewhere. Alternatively you could use System 7 if the apps you want to use don't require OS8 or OS9. You'll need Mini vMac, Basilisk II, or SheepShaver.

Terzin1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Im trying to run mostly old games, sheepshaver and the others are just like "classic"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.