Where can I download OS X 10.6?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by glow9, Dec 3, 2015.

1. glow9 macrumors newbie

Is there a non scary place I can download a copy of the .iso? Apple no longer seems to have it available to download. My macbook doesn't even have browsers that it can download anymore I'm working on a old version of Camino? Thx

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

10.6 (OS X Snow Leopard) full install has never been available as a download from Apple (although Apple's developer site must have had that available at some point years ago)
    You can still order the Snow Leopard installer DVD directly from Apple. Under $20.
    Here's the online Apple Store page - http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

3. glow9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, so going forward after 10.6 all new updates are free?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Yes, 10.6 updates are all free, as have been all updates to Apple's OS X.
    If you want to "upgrade" to a newer version of OS X - 10.7 is still one that you purchase.
    10.8 is also available for purchase (but is not free from Apple, only $20) and is a download from the App Store. http://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6377Z/A/os-x-mountain-lion?
    You can download those for free from the App Store, if you have previously purchased.
    OS X versions later than Mountain Lion are free, but not as simple to get (again, unless you have previously purchased them). You can also go straight from Snow Leopard to El Capitan, which is also free to download.

6. glow9 thread starter macrumors newbie

So 10.6 I believe gives you the app store. Where can I buy 10.7? I seem to be only finding 10.6 for sale?

7. chrfr macrumors 603

Lion is only sold by Apple as a download from the App Store, so you'd need to start with 10.6. If your computer will run something later than 10.7, you should use it. 10.7.x isn't known to be one of Apple's best.

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

It's still in the online store at Apple.com
    http://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion
    $20 gets you a download redemption code for the App Store. That also means that you have, at a minimum, Snow Leopard, fully updated, already installed. That's so you will have access to the App Store to get Lion, or whatever later OS X version that you want.

9. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP asks:
    "Is there a non scary place I can download a copy of the .iso?"

As mentioned above, try buying a DVD from Apple.

Then - if your Macbook doesn't have a built in DVD drive -- buy a USB CD/DVD player for about $25. It -DOES NOT- have to be an Apple-labeled one, ANY one will work.

This is probably the easiest way to do it, though it's not free.

If you want a "free copy" of 10.6, you're going to have to "go to the scary places".
    I don't consider this a problem, I've had no more trouble from OS's downloaded from such places than I've had from downloading OS software from Apple. (If anything, I've had MORE trouble with "official" Apple downloads).

10. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

10.6.8 gives you App Store.
    What machine you need to run 10.6 on? If it's 2010 MBP it will not install from retail 10.6 media.

11. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Of course the "scary places" are also illegal and pirate sites. So there's that.

12. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If your list of Macs is still current, you could install 10.6 on a cMP4,1 or any mini in your sig.
    Also your MacBook 2008, or the MacBook 2009.

Of course, if you purchase that media now, it won't be 10.6, but will install 10.6.3
    Everything except the 2010 MBPro in your sig are good choices for a SL install from the retail DVD.