Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
I have 13-inch MBP and desperately need a display because i'm writing more code and designing web pages. 13 inches is just NOT ENOUGH. I want an apple monitor. But my current budget will only allow me to spend about $500.

Looking for maybe a 27" display. Where can I find a refurbished or used one? is anybody on here looking to sell a display? :)

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I'd say try eBay, but I just looked and the few that are there are going for about $800. You'll be hard pressed to find a TBD cheaper than that.

Does it have to be an Apple monitor? You can use any monitor as long as you have the right cables. You can easily get a regular 27" screen under your budget.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
New ones ATD were $929 at B&H. Refurbed ATDs with full warranty are $829 at Apple. You can get Apple Care on the refurbed ones.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
I have 13-inch MBP and desperately need a display because i'm writing more code and designing web pages. 13 inches is just NOT ENOUGH. I want an apple monitor. But my current budget will only allow me to spend about $500.

Looking for maybe a 27" display. Where can I find a refurbished or used one? is anybody on here looking to sell a display? :)
Apples displays have an average quality. Go to tftcentral.co.uk and select the appropriate display (read the reviews). Or find a cheaper (<= 500 $) LED-backlight IPS display (many IPS variants exist, (up to 8000 $ :eek: )), which has good reviews on reputable sites. Btw, regarding displays, MR is NOT a “reputable site”.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
I'd say try eBay, but I just looked and the few that are there are going for about $800. You'll be hard pressed to find a TBD cheaper than that.

Does it have to be an Apple monitor? You can use any monitor as long as you have the right cables. You can easily get a regular 27" screen under your budget.

It guess it doesn't have to be thunderbolt. The main reason in looking into apples hardware is because the displays seem to have a higher resolution than standard monitors that I would find in stores.

I'd I could find a cheaper 27-inch monitor with the same resolution then it would be an easy choice.

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
It guess it doesn't have to be thunderbolt. The main reason in looking into apples hardware is because the displays seem to have a higher resolution than standard monitors that I would find in stores.

I'd I could find a cheaper 27-inch monitor with the same resolution then it would be an easy choice.

There are quite a few companies that make 27" monitors with the 2560x1440/1600. Dell, Acer, Samsung, and a few others make them, and they seem to be grouped around the $700 dollar range. You might be able to find one used for a little less. If you went with 1920x1080 then those monitors are in the $300 dollar range.

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
If you can deal with a few dead pixels and non Apple design, A- and B+ grade 27" panels is what you might be after. These range from $320-$500. From what I have read these are the same panels that Dell and Apple use so image quality should be the same but are rejects because of dead pixels. Most of these sellers do offer A+ grade ones with no dead pixels but no design or namebrand to pay for if all you need is a cheaper 27" monitor with 2560x1440 resolution.

$(KGrHqFHJEYFCbOTDqFyBQogZj8MLw~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqFHJCkFBefzp),wBQc6sgzoLg~~60_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tempered-Gl...4197?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item3a7ca30f25

Just search 2560x1440 27" on eBay and a bunch of them should popup.

You can also go to Craigslist and haggle. I got a 6 month old TBD for $500 because of a huge scratch on the glass on the front left. Replaced the glass with an oem one from ebay for $60 and its good as new with 6 more months of warranty :D

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
I strongly recommend the seemingly sketchy Korean monitors as well. They were all the rage a few months ago when folks at Overclock discovered them. I personally own both an ATD and a 27" Shimian tempered glass model and I find the displays in both to be comparable. I don't regret my ATD since it does have the Thunderbolt dock and all, and it is a great deal compared to competitors like Dell, but really, had I know about these beforehand, I wouldn't have bought it. $300 shipped vs $900 is just too tremendous of a value when the IQ is about the same.

Also, I did not specifically pay for a no dead pixel one, but mine came out perfect with none. It does seem to have a few dust specs underneath the glass, but this is apparently common for these models. Nonetheless, they're really just an incredible steal.

Just note that it requires dual-link DVI so you can't just use a miniDP to DVI adapter; you need an active one to upconvert the signal and that will cost around $50 and consume another USB port as well.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Apples displays have an average quality. Go to tftcentral.co.uk and select the appropriate display (read the reviews). Or find a cheaper (<= 500 $) LED-backlight IPS display (many IPS variants exist, (up to 8000 $ :eek: )), which has good reviews on reputable sites. Btw, regarding displays, MR is NOT a “reputable site”.

Those are typically purpose built, such as medical or broadcast displays. I just wanted to add that in case anyone wondered what you meant.

There are quite a few companies that make 27" monitors with the 2560x1440/1600. Dell, Acer, Samsung, and a few others make them, and they seem to be grouped around the $700 dollar range. You might be able to find one used for a little less. If you went with 1920x1080 then those monitors are in the $300 dollar range.

The 1080 ones are basically shared with television panels. It's a way of cutting costs. I tend to view kind of close, so I'm not sure I'd want to stretch 27" to 1080. I can deal with 1920x1200 on a 24", which I own, but it's pushing it. I do like the height adjustable stands offered by others.

Arman

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal
I would give a vote to one of the off label Korean displays. Check out Monoprice Crystal Pro but a better display I think is the Auria Panel from Microcenter.com. That too is a LG panel but it has HDMI, Display Port, VGA and DVI I believe. Both models include built in sound. I helped a friend buy one of these. Very nice picture. No dead pixels and comes with full warranty, unlike eBay ones.

davidoloan

Suspended
Apr 28, 2009
Did anybody get charged 14% duty and 20% Vat by the delivery courier in the UK with a monitor from South Korea?

I know from experience DHL etc collect on taxes USA orders but what about the rest of the world?

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
I'm considering getting a 27" UltraSharp U2713HM Dell monitor

How well does the new UltraSharp U2713HM work with Macs?

Do the usb 3.0 ports and other peripherals work when connected to the mac? How many cables do I need to connect the dell to the iMac and have it fully functional?

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
Ican't answer your questions but I am gonna return my atd and buy a Korean from monoprice or microcenter and keep it until apple updates their atd. Then I will sell the Korean an buy new atd just because I am an apple snob.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
I'm considering getting a 27" UltraSharp U2713HM Dell monitor

How well does the new UltraSharp U2713HM work with Macs?

Do the usb 3.0 ports and other peripherals work when connected to the mac? How many cables do I need to connect the dell to the iMac and have it fully functional?

I'm guessing you'll have to plug in at least another USB cable in addition to the display cable as the ports are generally just a separate, integrated hub. In all likelihood, two cables, but you won't have a Magsafe adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.