Where can I find a second hard drive bay for my white MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Tartarus, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Tartarus macrumors member

hello, i have a macbook 5,2(the non unibody white one) an i cant seem to find any of the secondary hard drive enclosures (the ones that replace the superdrive)
    mainly i want to install a crucial 128gb SSD (slickdeals has one for $79) and keep my main 160gb(i know, i know, OLD) in its current location, then i want to move osx onto the SSD. Once that is done, i want to take the 500gb hard drive from my old laptop, replace the 160gb and make use of Fusiondrive in mountain lion.

what i need to know:
    where can i find a cheap enclosure that replaces the superdrive
    how do i move osx onto the new SSD
    how do i wipe and format the 500gb hard drive from my old windows laptop to work on my macbook
    how do i set up fusion drive?

thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

eBay or Hardwrk, they are called Optibay adapters, you need one with an S-ATA interface.
    CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper! can clone the HDD to the SSD.
    Use Disk Utility to do so while the HDD is in a USB 3.0 / 2.0 enclosure for 2.5" S-ATA HDDs. Can be had via eBay or Newegg or other retailers.
    That I do not know, but maybe have a look at Advanced Search or MRoogle to find similar threads while you wait for more answers:
    [​IMG]

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

3. Tartarus thread starter macrumors member

thanks for all the help! just one important thing i left out, i have bootcamp installed on a partition, can i clone that over as well as osx all at once?? because i cannot uninstall and reinstall windows, i have a computer spanish class that i need to keep on there

4. simsaladimbamba

CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper! will NOT clone a Boot Camp partition, for that you should take a look at WinClone.

5. Lunapip macrumors newbie