Where can I find fail rates for different Apple products?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by charlieegan3, Apr 7, 2016.

1. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

I've had a bad experience with a 2012 retina MacBook Pro and I'd be interested to know how newer and other products differ, if at all, in their average reliability. I have a suspicion that the dedicated graphics has caused many of my issues and i'm aware this is likely an anomaly.

So far I've only been able to find summary information e.g. http://www.consumerreports.org/laptops/laptop-reliability-by-year/

I tried to do some research of my own but the forum search was a limiting factor. http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/are-forum-searches-limited-to-500-results.1965916/

Any ideas?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I doubt you'll find any detailed information it is in the manufacturers interest to keep this out of the public domain.

3. charlieegan3 thread starter macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Apple is never going to release failure rates. A lot depends on what you mean - failure of entire computer or of SSD or screen etc..

5. charlieegan3 thread starter macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

I had wondered if there might be someone that worked for Apple or a reseller on here that could talk from personal experience.

I asked this in store once and they offered to get me a list based on repairs at that store. I should have taken them up on the offer...

I know Apple aren't going to go full disclosure but I don't think it's unreasonable to guess that someone on here knows something useful on the matter.

6. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Offhand - 2011 15/17s and 2012 retinas are obviously a no go
    white uni MacBooks bottom plates
    2012 cMBP 13" seem to have a very high failure rate for their HDD cables
    other than that, nothing I can recall with regularity

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I remember seeing some data from Square Trade a year or so ago, so that might help you search. They sell third party extended warranties, so they were compiling claim data in the various brands.

8. charlieegan3 thread starter macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Thanks - good to know. I've got a 2012 rMBP and it's been causing a lot of pain. Do/did you work in a store?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 7, 2016 ---
    There's this report from 2009: https://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_laptop_reliability_1109.pdf

If there's a newer one that'd be interesting but I can't find one.

That said I'm personally interested in the variations between Apple's own ranges and years of release.

9. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Apple Store for two years, then an AASP for another

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Even if people working for Apple got this information they will have signed a confidentiality clause, you don't give a company that rich the opportunity to sue you by releasing confidential information.

11. charlieegan3 thread starter macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

One time in a store they offered to get the information for me (when asked). This lead me to believe it wasn't a such a closely guarded secret after all.

12. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I think it is unlikely that you would get more than just that store's own experience (regardless of what you think they told you :D )
    There could be a large difference between one store's local records/experience, and the company's products as a whole.

13. charlieegan3 thread starter macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

They only offered to get the stats for their store.

All depends on the sample size, I think a single store could provide a suitable sample to make a reliable estimate.

14. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Go for it, then.
    Hopefully, the info will be useful to you.
    I expect that if the sample size does give you reliable information - company-wide - then those stats will probably be very close to what you already know from other sources, such as Consumer Reports.

15. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

MacBook Pro Repair Extension Program for Video Issues

I have a MacBookPro8,2 that was repaired within that programme. I assume that the batches of replacement parts are more reliable than the originals. Should I continue to treat the 8,2 as likely to fail?

(It's without a battery at the moment, and the Mac ceased to respond to the trackpad and keyboard not long after the video issue was addressed, I wonder whether the non-response symptom is somehow associated with the absence of the battery. A local AASP has offered to take a look, but I have not yet found time to pay a visit.)

16. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Yes, it was replaced with a board that uses the same card

17. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

So it's just pot luck with the card on the board?

(I imagine that Apple would have arranged more reliable batches from the supplier. And/or knowing of the risk of failure, Apple might have performed tests on the boards to hopefully weed out the riskiest before supplying the boards to service providers..)

18. charlieegan3 thread starter macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

These are the exact kinds of questions I was hoping to answer. My opinion on the matter is this: sometimes the replacement parts are more reliable (e.g. rMBP screen ghosting replacement), others they are the exact same. In the second instance parts fail for one of two reasons, they fail on their own under normal use OR they fail because of some interaction from another component (e.g. they are not adequately cooled).

This said this is based on my experience with my 2012 rMBP. I don't have any more data to draw from than my own (numerous 5+) repairs.

19. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

AFAIK yes.

The last time this happened, someone took Apple to small claims court, as they weren't really fixing the problem so much as putting it off. I believe he won.