where can I find how much HD memory my Mac has

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bluebird3, Aug 7, 2013.

1. bluebird3 macrumors regular

I went under "About This Mac" and It says Memory "2 GB 667 MHz DR SDRAM"
    Then, clicked "more info.." and showed the following.

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB41.00C1.B00
    SMC Version (system): 1.31f1

Then under "memory" it showed..

Memory Slots:

ECC: Disabled

BANK 0/DIMM0:

Size: 1 GB
    Type: DDR2 SDRAM
    Speed: 667 MHz

BANK 1/DIMM1:

Size: 1 GB
    Type: DDR2 SDRAM
    Speed: 667 MHz

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

HD and memory are two different animals. Consider the HD your filing cabinet where you store things long-term and memory as your desktop where your current work is stored.

On About This Mac, if you look at the Storage section (I'm working from OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, yours may be different) you can get an idea what your HD size and free space are.

3. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Alternatively you could open the Terminal.app and type in then hit enter key df -h to get a human readable output of the disk space free and the size of the disk(s) in the system.

4. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

This is in Snow Leopard, it shouldn't be too dissimilar from Mountain Lion, I hope.

What I do is open Finder and look in the left hand column to see My iMac under Devices. (If yours doesn't show Devices, you can set it to show in Preferences.)

I click on it and it shows all my hard drives, internal & external. I right click on the Macintosh HDD icon and choose Get Info, then a window pops up with total HDD space, amount used, amount available.

If your HDD icon shows on your Desktop, you can right click on that icon to Get Info too.

Attached Files:

5. bluebird3 thread starter macrumors regular

This machine is using OS 10.5.8. What is right click ? I do not have mouse on this MacBook...

6. bluebird3 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank You

Thank you I was able to do it now... I just went "Go", "Computer", then select the HD icon, and then "get Info" :)

I wonder why it does not show under "about this Mac" tho... make things difficult.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

go to "about this mac" then "more info" very simple

8. bluebird3 thread starter macrumors regular

you mean like I did before I asked my OP ? I copied and pasted what I saw it as you can see. It shows RAM memory. But Where is the HD memory information under "more info" ?

9. CrickettGrrrl, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013

CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Hi Bluebird3,

If you click on About This Mac/More Info, there is a list of clickable things in the left hand column. See attached (which is only a partial view btw, so in yours you'll also see available capacity, etc.) screenshot where I clicked on Serial-ATA.

By the way, are you absolutely certain there is no right click option for your touch pad, maybe in System Prefs or something? I used to have a 2004 PowerBook and I'm pretty sure it had it. If yours can't be enabled, you can use a keyboard shortcut to right click by holding down the OptionCorrection: CONTROL key and then clicking.

Attached Files:

10. bluebird3 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you kindly, I was able to go to the Serial - ATA Device Tree section. Ok, I went to System Preference and clicked under Trackpad option. I think then checked on "For secondary clicks, place two fingers on the trackpad then click the button". I think this is the right click ?

11. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Yes :), unnecessarily confusing, I think most users think in terms of mouse right & left clicks rather than primary and secondary, but this setting will allow you to right click now.

12. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I believe it's the "control" button and then clicking

13. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

D'OH! YES! :eek: You are correct, thank you. I can't believe I messed that up! I need a nap.