Where can I find my available hard drive space?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marvingentry, Aug 6, 2009.

1. marvingentry macrumors newbie

I've looked everywhere I know to. Help? Thanks!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

AT THE BOTTOM OF EVERY FINDER WINDOW.

You didn't look anywhere, I think.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

At the bottom of a Finder window, and in Disk Utility.

4. ritsard macrumors regular

ritsard

You can do a Get Info on the drive or use Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app)

5. marvingentry thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahhh, brilliant! I'd just love to hang out with you, Shortest Skil.

For those that actually helped me, thanks! I would have thought I would find it in "About this Mac." You know, "system information?"

I'll be sure to ask Shortman first, next time :)>.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

1. I'm curious how "insulting" my username does anything.
    2. I'm curious how I didn't help you, as you can find the available hard drive space at the bottom of every Finder window.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Call me crazy but when people come here for help, they aren't looking for the answer to be 'shouted' to them and a snide comment. For the life of me, I can't understand why you bother posting in these threads when new users clearly bother you. FWIW, you come off as some punk kid posting from mommy's basement. Lighten up, Francis.

EDIT: And your signature is further evidence of it.

8. JReynolds macrumors 6502

haha you caught his ass

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I apologize that my signature reflects my feeling that we should follow the forum rules.

I also apologize to the OP for typing my response in all caps, but lying about its usefulness is childish.

10. marvingentry thread starter macrumors newbie

Short Guy, Must I draw your attention to the obvious? Guess so. When you suggest I didn't look first, that offends me. But, I'll forgive you. Your first post, and quick second response, tells me that you are around 12 years old- on summer break from grade school, and pissed off that Mommy over-cooked the chocolate chips.

It's kids like you that I would... No, I'm good.

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Again, I apologize for the shortness with which I answered your question. The fault in this matter lies with both of us, but I am indeed sorry that I did not handle the situation in a kinder manner.

Now, having said that, your latest attack on me, even after I apologized for the first time, was both highly fallacious and uncalled for. I would ask that you edit your post to remove the untruths. Thank you.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

:confused:

Attached Files:

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'd "YA RLY" back, but...

He didn't search the forums and I'm not convinced that he looked around his computer very well. I shouldn't have blown up, but he should have also followed the rules. I realize from the places he did look that he must be coming off of Windows, and so his point was somewhat valid.

14. marvingentry thread starter macrumors newbie

I did a search on "find available hard drive space." If you will do the same, you will find that it doesn't answer my original question. I admit, I didn't look back into 2004. Hence, I came here believing I would get help, as I did, from some good-natured folk! Unfortunate that my first "help" was condescending.

But! I've had a good nights rest, and I will elevate you back to your original status of "TALLEST SKIL." Now, go out there and make it a great day!

15. trule macrumors 6502

Did you ever hear of google? Its quite good, you can search for things like "find available hard drive space on mac" and probably it gives you the answer.

16. marvingentry thread starter macrumors newbie

You know, I should have. I use Google all the time. Just figured I would go "straight to Mac." But, you are right- should have also tried the mighty GOOGLE!! Thanks.

17. rtheb macrumors 6502

On the Desktop, if you use the CMD (ie: [​IMG]) -J key combo on your keyboard the "View Options" dialogue box will be displayed, then just check "Show Item Info" and the item info will be displayed (the size of the Hard Disk and Free Space remaining) for the Hard Disks.

Just uncheck the Show Item Info box to disable.

You can also "Right Click" the Desktop and select Show View Options to get to the "View Options" dialogue box or select View in the Finder Menu Bar then select Show View Options.