Where can I find the cheapest Drobo?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Chris Rogers, Jun 1, 2009.

1. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

2. Chris Rogers thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

or even something similar for less (but reliable)

3. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Same question here. Have had my eyes on the Drobos but they are ridiculously expensive.

4. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I can't help but think that a second hand Intel 1.66GHz Mac Mini and four external hard drive housings (even ones that match a Mac Mini's looks) could be had for roughly the same yet offer far more possibilites.

5. Chris Rogers thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

Yeah, but I'm trying to mirror the media that my mini serves :cool:

I have 2 3.5" drives (possibility of increasing in the future, I like Drobo's "pay as you grow") that I'd like to put into something.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Drobo's would be worth the price if they had a Gigabit ethernet port on there already instead of having to get that extra box which bottlenecks you to USB.

Maybe the next update on them.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Chris, I was e-mailed an ad for buy.com and saw this drive enclosure from D-Link. It may be worth looking into and it's not half bad looking. I'm considering it myself.

8. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I've been considering a Drobo since they were first released. I just can't get myself to pay that much just for the machine. I don't just have 3.5" hard drives laying around my house, so I would have to go out and buy those also.

Like the OP, I'm also wanting to mirror the data that I have (on my iMac). I have lots of photos and videos that I have taken on my digital camera for the past 5 years that I don't have physical copies of. My wife would absolutely KILL me if something happened to them.

I am currently just backing up (through Time Machine) my iPhoto library and my Movies folder to a 500GB external hard drive. The only problem is, it's 5 years old, so I'm hoping it doesn't crap out on me soon.

9. Chris Rogers thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

sweet, thanks! I like how it can take any capacity drive.

10. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I don't get the Drobo craze, seems like a total waste of money to me. It costs way more than it should.

11. healeydave macrumors regular

I bought a Drobo when they first came out and I can thoroughly recommend it.

If you have data that you can't afford to lose and you don't want the complications of upgrading in the future (a burden in standard raid systems), the price should not concern you, they are not that outrageous!

I even had a real life drama to share:

When I first got my Drobo, I just threw a couple of 400Gb drives into it. As the 1TB drives came down, I added a couple of those along the way.
    Yes it was as easy as the video shows, I just pushed the new, different size drives in & forgot about it.

A couple of months ago, I needed a spare drive, so I thought, I'd steal one of the old 400Gb drives from the Drobo, I just pulled the drive and went on to use it elsewhere, left the Drobo to worry about sorting itself out.

Naturally, it goes through a process of management when you do these things, the lights were flashing yellow, but Drobo's really do give you piece of mind and I wasn't worried at all and went about my business.

Shortly after this, we had a power outage, of all the days it had to be the day I decided to pull a drive from my all important data storage device :-0

The power was out for a long time, my UPS died prematurely also due to the batteries going defective :-(

I must admit I kinda felt sick to think all my data might be lost and when the power finally returned, I actually didn't power up the Drobo for a couple of hours. The reasons were, firstly, I wanted to be sure the power restoration wasn't temporary and secondly, I couldn't bring myself to know for sure if I had a corrupt / empty system because of the power outage whilst it was managing the storage removal.

Of-course the answer was it booted up and everything was safe, otherwise I probably still couldn't bring myself to talk about it :)

No-one, will convince me here that Drobo is not worth the money!!

For those that need larger capacity and have an issue about gigabit ethernet, there is of-course Drobo Pro now too with an 8 bay chassis and iSCSI interface !

12. edoates macrumors 6502

Macsales has a fully configured one (including some disk drives):

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Data Robotics, Inc./DR04DD10B4TB/

4TB of Hitachi Deskstars are part of the package for $749 - $75 mail in rebate.

For the record: I have no connection with either MacSales or Drobo, just passing along some info.

Eddie O

13. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I could be wrong here, but with Raid 1 and Raid 0 I think you have to use matched capacity drives. So while this D-Link unit will take, "any capacity drive," you will have to buy two drives of the exact same size in order to take advantage of it's features.

As mentioned by others in this thread, one of the advantages to Drobo is that you can mix and match drives regardless of size.

As far as places to get a cheap Drobo, Ebay usually has a pretty good supply of them, but as usual, buyer beware.