Where can I get a power extension cable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davidg4781, May 22, 2012.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I bought a used MacBook Pro but it's missing the extension cable. I use this a lot and would like to buy one. Apple Stores don't sell them. I saw some on ifixit and ShaggyMac. ifixit's are used and ShaggyMac's seem to be new, but are these ok to buy? I know it's an extension cord but I don't want to risk my new MBP over saving a couple of dollars.

I've also seen some on Amazon but not sure about the quality on those. Some guy took apart a duck head prong thing and showed the poorer quality when compared to the Apple branded one.

2. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Ask around on the Marketplace...

3. goRoostr macrumors member

Buying from ifixit should be fine, they won't sell after market junk. You could also look on eBay and make sure it says original or oem not oem equivalent.

4. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

You can buy one with an appointment through the genius bar.

5. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

How much are they? The nearest Apple store is about 2 hours away. I'm in that area about maybe once a month, but the guy I spoke to at the Apple store a few days ago said they do not have any to sell. He was the guy at the front entrance so he may not know what's going on back there. The girl I bought the MacBook from (Apple Genius) said just to ask them at the Apple store and they'll give me one.

6. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Any issues with buying from ShaggyMac? I've been an Apple fanboy since 2006 but have never heard of them. Maybe I was living under a rock??

7. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

I'm not sure. I know we used to sell them when I worked there. We also sometimes gave them away.

8. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

9. applerepairs macrumors member

10. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Better than Apple taking care of me??:confused:

11. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Why of course. Always better to buy from a third world company on eBay selling knockoff Apple goods than some retail company isn't it? :)

12. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

You talked to Apple Care and they said they'd give you one free of charge? That's awesome!

13. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

And I will say it again. This is why I buy apple products. Service for me has been world class.

14. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes sir! Not sure how many times I can do that. I was actually hoping to buy one because I wanted a spare. Would make it easier when I move from my bedroom to my living room. And then if I do get an external monitor have one there too.

15. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Uh oh!

They told me sometime between one to two weeks. Just got the shipping notice. Will be here Tuesday and I'll be out of town on vacation. And it needs a signature.

Drat.

16. scott.n macrumors 6502

17. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

OWC.. lots of good 'small bits'..

OWC has them too.. Always have good luck with their parts and descriptions (Used-New Old Stock- etc) and VERY reasonable prices, even after shipping to Canada!! :cool:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/PWRCBLMSAB/

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If it's being shipped FedEx, you could always request a "hold at location" which FedEx holds for 10 days.

UPS, you need to wait for the first attempt, but then you can request a hold as well.

19. Ccrew macrumors 68020

You can also do a pre-authorization for delivery with FedEx

20. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

How do I do that?

I tried clicking on hold at center on the fedex site but it's said it's not available for this shipment.

I called FedEx to ask what I should do. They said their hands are tied because of contracts with Apple. I called Apple and was told they couldn't change the address or anything but that it will not require a signature. It should be ok sitting outside my apartment until I get back. Small town, nothing really going on around here. And they normally hide it behind a plant. I usually miss packages.

21. Ccrew macrumors 68020

It may be because I have my own FedEx account tied to my home address. Or maybe something legacy from the past that's no longer offered?

I just know that virtually every tracking to my house says "Signature on File"