Where can I get a remote disc for mba?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mjr55, Jan 8, 2012.

1. mjr55 macrumors newbie

I bought a used mba that did not come with a remote disc. Where can I get one?

2. simsaladimbamba

Apple.
    What exact MBA did you buy and where are you located country wise, as the answer to how get it, may differ.

Btw, "Remote Disc" is not the correct term, it is "Recovery Disk". Remote Disk is the option/ability to use an optical disk drive (ODD) from a Windows computer or Mac remotely via a local network.

To learn more about Mac OS X:

3. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

He might mean Apples Remote Disk that allows you to use another Mac or PC's DVDROM drive to install software programs. Which is usually on the left side of Finder.

4. simsaladimbamba

I thought so too, but this
    makes me think, the OP confuses it with a physical disc, thus my explanation, what Remote Disc and a Recovery Disk is.

5. mjr55 thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean the disc that allows you to use other peoples optical drive. What simsaladimbamba said is what I am looking for. I live in NJ, and I have a used 2008 mba

6. simsaladimbamba

7. mjr55 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the response, but I am looking for the actual disc. I do not have the disc because I bought from a website called powermax where they sell a variety of apple products.

8. simsaladimbamba

Sorry, misunderstood you, as you said disc.
    You have to contact Apple and ask them for replacement DVDs or you could get the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD for 29 USD and use that. Or you could get the 69 USD Lion USB Recovery drive.

9. G-Money macrumors member

I think you are misunderstanding what "Remote Disc" is. You say you're looking for "the disc that allows you to use other peoples optical drive". There is not a disc that allows you to do this, but instead it is a function built into OS X.

If you follow simsaladimbamba's link from his/her earlier post, you will be able to use remote disc - to use another computer's optical drive. You are not missing a disc that will allow you to use Remote Disc.

If you are looking for a Recovery Disc so that you can re-install/fix OS X, then follow simsaladimbamba's most recent response for tracking down a disc.